*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Issues with fuel quality and sooted EGR

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Issues with fuel quality and sooted EGR

Postby nick_theboatman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:04 pm

So the EGR is badly sooted on this Connect and the DPF full of ash (the "DPR end-of-life" alarm is set).

But I also hear that there is a quality issue with diesel being imported into the UK at the moment, and that this dodgy diesel is causing engines to soot more.
My Fusion also broke down with a badly sooted EGR and I asked the recovery truck driver if he had heard anything on the grapevine and he thought not.
Anyone heard anything?

The OBD-II has raised the following alarms: P010F (MAF) P0299 (turbo underboost) and latterly P242F (DPF ashed) and P244B (DPF diff pressure too high).
Any insights?
Thanks
nick_theboatman
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Issues with fuel quality and sooted EGR

Postby nick_theboatman » Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 pm

So I cant believe that this problem is still going on.
UPDATE
New MAF.
DPF off and cleaned with off-vehicle DPF cleaner. Twice.
Vapouriser off, cleaned through, glow plug checked, tested and completed a regen in 10 mins.
EGR servo off, checked working, actuator was sticky so cleaned.
ForScan monitored RPM, EGR, turbo vane angle and MAF - all signals operate to limits as I'd expect.
Also noticed a noticeable "stuttering" at 1900-2000 RPM - holding back then lurching forwards.
Out of options and end of tether.
Any ideas (apart from over-a-cliff) ?
nick_theboatman
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby nick_theboatman » Sun May 09, 2021 6:14 pm

HELP!!
More on this nightmare.

The fuel metering was up the spout with the old MAF so although I put a new DPF on within 3 weeks it was blocked. Cleaned it out, put it back on wet doh... Clogged again very quick even with the new MAF / metering profile. Cleaned it out again, cleaned out the vapouriser and did a regen but STILL throws P0101.
I hear that a MAP error / fault can also cause P0101. Anyone heard of this?

I put the scope (ForScan) on, watching RPM, MAF, MAP, and Variable pitch vane turbo angle. The MAP readings are moving simultaneously with the MAF but not by very much.

Any insights?
I'm going nuts here !!
nick_theboatman
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby nick_theboatman » Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 pm

Oh one other thing that might be useful in general. I unbolted the EGR servo from the valve housing, took the pipe from the exhaust to the EGR valve off and played with the valve attitude. It is possible that the valve was sticky and this is consistent with the juddery performance at approx 2000 RPM.

What was interesting though was that when my mate pressed on the accelerator and loads of vrooming came out of the corrugated stainless EGR pipe I noticed that the EGR servo was moving in sympathy. Rule #1 in control theory debugging: if you have multiple potential points of failure in a control loop (which this is) break open the loop and chase the signals round until you get to something that looks wrong. Fix that then close the loop again to see if the fix was the only one necessary. Keep going.

Cleaned the EGR valve spindle and inlet port (sooty) with copious amounts of EGR cleaner hooch, the valve turns freely and the juddering is now gone...
Remember that in this situation the exhaust from the EGR corrugated stainless pipe to the EGR (disconnected in this test) plays straight onto those plastic fuel lines to the filter. You wouldn't want them to melt, now, would you...? Bend them out of the way.

.... but I'm still getting P0101 grr..... :(
nick_theboatman
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mike » Sun May 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Two vehicles that you drive are suffering similar problems, I’d look at how you drive them tbh. I’ve had 7 Transits with egr and 4 with dpf, no problems whatsoever. But I NEVER use supermarket fuel, I ignore the shift light and I never leave them idling for extended periods:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby highroof » Tue May 18, 2021 10:44 am

Mike wrote:Two vehicles that you drive are suffering similar problems, I’d look at how you drive them tbh. I’ve had 7 Transits with egr and 4 with dpf, no problems whatsoever. But I NEVER use supermarket fuel, I ignore the shift light and I never leave them idling for extended periods:

All of the above. I only use VPower, I drive them hard and rev them. Best way to treat a modern diesel if you want to avoid all the emissions crap clogging up.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect