*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2015 Heating/cooling problems

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2015 Heating/cooling problems

Postby valt1966 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:14 pm

Hello all,

Got issues with my 2015 1.6D, the coolant light comes on sporadically and the heater doesn't work (it seems to me like they might be connected)...

The light comes on randomly about 5 minutes after engine start (it comes on approx 1 journey every 5). It doesnt seem to matter if it is wet/dry/cold/warm... Cooling light will come on before temp needle has moved - light will not be on, and doesnt seem to reappear if I turn the van off and back on.
I think the dashboard temp gauge is slow to come up (but I have no reference to what is normal) so not sure if this is part of any fault!
If cooling light comes on, and even if only just started the van, the radiator fan comes on and will keep running for a couple of minutes after switching the engine off.
The cab heater is not working either... even if engine is up to temp - this is a non-AC version.

The van went in to get the sensor and fan replaced (see below) and coolant levels were checked - all good and no sign of leaks.

History:
One time going down a dual carriageway the coolant light was on as above and the Engine management light came on and the van went into limp mode, the temp gauge showed nearly 120 deg. I pulled over and turned it off and back on - Engine management light was on, but not in limp mode, and gauge showed correct temp (approx 90 deg) - reader later showed temp sensor - Sensor and Radiator fan replaced (fan was noisy as was on more than normal).

Any ideas what it may be? Anybody had similar before? Local garage have run out of ideas, local Ford garage were also unsure how to help "that is a strange one" (but not actually had it in for diagnosis yet...).

I had a search on here, but the only thing I could find was a vague reference to the waterpump... I've only had it since August, it was sold with service history, but not sure about waterpump change. It is on about 85K.

Thanks in advance - any advice/help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
valt1966
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2015 Heating/cooling problems

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:50 pm

i would say change the thermostat (it may be sticking and not performing how its meant to ) ..see how you get on after that.
well that's easy if you do it yourself and are mechanically minded (A CHEAP QUICK FIX) ......otherwise garage route may cost a bit .....and may not be the solution ...this is the problem of owning a vehicle without knowledge .....and me giving out advice to someone who has to pay to have it sorted.
Garages will often guess ...and replace things until they find the solution ...not cheap these days .

Yes, i see a few references to peoples water pumps giving up with impeller problems, but the thermostat is the next logical step

Note: disturbing thermostat ..may result in broken plastic thermostat housing in anything over 5 years old (plastic becomes brittle with age)

Also check wires to the sensor, these can break internally a few inches away from the connector

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: 2015 Heating/cooling problems

Postby valt1966 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:41 pm

metalworker0 wrote:i would say change the thermostat (it may be sticking and not performing how its meant to ) ..see how you get on after that.
well that's easy if you do it yourself and are mechanically minded (A CHEAP QUICK FIX) ......otherwise garage route may cost a bit .....and may not be the solution ...this is the problem of owning a vehicle without knowledge .....and me giving out advice to someone who has to pay to have it sorted.
Garages will often guess ...and replace things until they find the solution ...not cheap these days .

Yes, i see a few references to peoples water pumps giving up with impeller problems, but the thermostat is the next logical step

Note: disturbing thermostat ..may result in broken plastic thermostat housing in anything over 5 years old (plastic becomes brittle with age)

Also check wires to the sensor, these can break internally a few inches away from the connector

all the best.mark

Thanks Mark, I'll try the thermostat and housing next... I'm mechanical minded enough to give things a go!
valt1966
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect