*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

key and locks playing up

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

key and locks playing up

Postby kev m » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:10 pm

i haven't had this van long and i am still finding things and trying to get things sorted bit by bit!
when i got the van i was given 2x keys and no fob with it being a 2005 1.8 tdci i presumed this was right with being an older van. one key was black and the other was red i was told the red key was the master key and the black one was the key that was used every day, i am having trouble getting the keys to work properly the black key thats used all the time is very stubborn to make work in the ignition to start the van the drivers door the petrol flap and even the bonnet you can get them to work eventually but as you can imagine its not ideal.
thought i would try the so called red master key but i couldn't even get that to work at all :? it feels like the key is very worn but if it was wouldn't the red master key work ok?
has anyone els had this problem ?
if so what was the cores?
any ideas on how to fix?
cheers kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: key and locks playing up

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:57 pm

The metal of the keys is chrome plated brass ..and easily wears away, had mine replaced, as it was failing to open doors ..the lock smith had to guess a bit and machine the blank to what he thought was originally there.
The fob is what you should be using to prevent wear on the keys when opening the doors. . I'm also told that having a load of other keys on the key-ring can wear out the ignition barrel as well as the key ..when the weight acts on them as they swing about when you are driving.
There are lots of lock smiths, phone around. as cost varies a lot ...mine cost £90 for 1 key and a fob ...i had quotes for the same 1 key and fob, for as much as £250....most quotes over £180...even at £90 i still felt ripped off !
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kev m » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:50 pm

right ok, thanks for reply i have the so called red master key and that is worse than the black one that's used daily i didn't get a fob with the van just the two keys the central locking is still working with the key i have to unlock the drivers door two times first time unlocks the drivers door and the second turn of the key opens the rest of the van.
if that makes any sense !
cheers kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:07 pm

kev m wrote:right ok, thanks for reply i have the so called red master key and that is worse than the black one that's used daily i didn't get a fob with the van just the two keys the central locking is still working with the key i have to unlock the drivers door two times first time unlocks the drivers door and the second turn of the key opens the rest of the van.
if that makes any sense !
cheers kev

Sorry, don't know anything about red or black keys, only what i had and what i had replaced - no one was answering so i thought i would give you my experience with mine.

Since 2005 anything could of happened to yours or mine (2006), that has entailed a replacement key.

Really - i don't know what original came with it- all i know is what i have now works ..and that is what matters to me .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby kev m » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:15 pm

no problem buddy thanks for your reply and trying to help much appreciated!
cheers kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:23 pm

The last Transit which had a red master key was a Mk5 "Smiley" Transit, and they discontinued using those keys in 1997. The last of the Mk5's had black keys with a red coded chip :? :o

From 2000> the Mk6 Transit, as well as the Connect from launch, had black keys with a blue chip in the top, and both keys were the same, no master. Both of the above had a separate 'fob' to activate the remote central locking, where fitted. The fob can be purchased and programmed to the van, irrespective of the key, (if you have RCL fitted).
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby kev m » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:12 pm

the central locking works with the key when i can get it to turn in the door lock properly, but how would i know if it is supposed to work with a fob?
cheers kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:01 pm

I don't understand what you are saying.
what i was saying is : the fob will enable the doors to be un-locked without using the key ..just the handles ..so saving the keys and the locks (except ignition barrel and key wear) from becoming worn...
so to get in the van you press the fob ..central locking unlocks and you get in with the handle on the door. you use the key to start the van .......when you leave the van you use the fob to lock all doors .
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:23 pm

kev m wrote:the central locking works with the key when i can get it to turn in the door lock properly, but how would i know if it is supposed to work with a fob?
cheers kev

It's fairly well documented on here if you have a search around, but basically, you get in the van, shut the door, and put the key in ignition. Then, turn the key to position 2 (ignition on) and off, 8 times, very quickly, the door locks should lock and unlock (cycle)
If they do, then you have RCL, and a fob can be added at that point, as the van is in programming mode.

If the locks don't cycle, then you've either done it wrong, or you don't have remote central locking, not all vans did :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby kev m » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:30 pm

rrrrrrrrrr right i am with you i mustn't of explained it properly regarding the fob i haven't got one just the two keys but with no fob just basic ford keys that's why i didn't know how to check if it was fitted with rcl
cheers kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:38 pm

kev m wrote:rrrrrrrrrr right i am with you i mustn't of explained it properly regarding the fob i haven't got one just the two keys but with no fob just basic ford keys that's why i didn't know how to check if it was fitted with rcl
cheers kev

Nope, I understood perfectly that you had no fob, but I explained above the method to check whether you can add one, or not. It looks more complicated than it is.

What I don't understand, is how you have a red key that works with an immobiliser that normally needs a black key with a blue chip.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby kev m » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:18 am

to be honest mate i don't know what it is supposed to have its the first ford i have ever had, i got it with the purpose of doing a few small jobs on it getting it ready for next summer its parked up my daughters drive way off the road for the time being. when i got the van the other week i new it had one or two little problems for me to sort out including the key not working very well so bid the seller accordingly got it at a fare price and now trying to bring it back to how i want it the van its self runs fine just a couple of jobs to do. the reason i need the locks or the fob for rsl is i don't want to be miles away from home and not be able to get in the van or open the fuel filler flap for fuel because the key has finally decided it ant going to work no more. just trying to find the best way to either renew all the locks and get a new set of keys with the locks or reinstate the rsl by getting a fob programmed in to it.
cheers kev
p.s i have never had to do anything to do with locks and keys before on any of my vehicles hence the reason for asking for advice
sorry thought i had already said i cant get the red key to work at all just the black and only if i fiddle it around in the key hole if you know what i mean
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kev m » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:36 pm

tried the ignition on and off 8 time and the central locking didn't re cycle so i don't think it has rsl unless i did it wrong but i will try again,
perhaps that's why i only got a key with the van it may not of had a fob to start with?
looking at the key again the black one the one that works it looks very worn i.e smooth edges where it should have pronounced edges and so on, so not shore if it is a case of the key being worn due to being used since new or both the key and the locks all being worn ?
cheers kev
kev m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Put you vin number in here ,.,.it will tell you if you had central locking

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/vin/wf0txxttpt5k16472/

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic