*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect R2PA vs R3PA engine differences

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Connect R2PA vs R3PA engine differences

Postby almetelo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 am

Hi

First post on the forum/group and hope you can help me

I had (still have) a 2007 Connect with a R3PA engine with 287000 km's / 178000 miles that motor had a connecting rod failure on #1 journal (had a COMPLETE service 4000km /2500mi ago with the spec oil and just havent replaced the oil pump/timing chain).

I was considering replace the complete motor by a R3PA or KKDA motor but now days engines are incredibly high here and with no ancillaries so the route was to rebuilt the engine with a good used crankshaft and connecting rods that can be found at good price but in the meanwhile I found a 2009 Connect with low km's/MI at reasonable price so I bought it but have a R2PA engine and the 75HP are short (I knew that) so I would like convert it to 90 since I have the old connect for parts.

I belive R2PA and R3PA are exactly the same (please confirm this) so what is the diference from 75 to 90hp? Turbo? ECU MAP?

BTW what would be the cause of #1 connecting rod fail?

TIA
almetelo

Re: Connect R2PA vs R3PA engine differences

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Here's the list /..make what you want of it- as that's what it will be for me - a list- up to when i have to do a transplant myself - hopefully not!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=139282

Connecting rod fail would probably be someone in the past running it low on oil or neglecting oil changes ..so shortening the lifespan of it.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby almetelo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:12 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Here's the list /..make what you want of it- as that's what it will be for me - a list- up to when i have to do a transplant myself - hopefully not!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=139282

Connecting rod fail would probably be someone in the past running it low on oil or neglecting oil changes ..so shortening the lifespan of it.

all the best..mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for reply/support but I still need to know what are the differences of R2PA 75hp and R3PA 90hp

In fact the van was not bought new from me and I dont know the real story of it (sellers most of the time say what we would like to hear) and that was the main reason I was not pointed to buy a used motor since most of the times we dont know the real km/mi and story of motor besides of being very expensive.

By rebuit the complete engine at least I knew what I had (basically would be as "new" engine) but I had to be sure (if is that possible) of what was the cause of failure and dont risk the same problem and throw my money for nothing.

Best regards
almetelo

Postby Kenton » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:01 pm

Simply the MAP as far as power is concerned. I have had work done by Martyn. Highly recommended by myself and many, many people. Speak to the man himself http://www.vantuner.com/ and check this link. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26990

Good luck mate 8)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby almetelo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:48 am

HI!

Did a research and looks like the diference on power must be only at the ECU map

Compared parts of both veihicles using the VIN numbers using this page:

https://ford.7zap.com/en/transport/

Diferent block references but both use same same pistons and conrods (same displacement), the 90HP 2007 use chain and 75HP 2009 use wet belt (in the end of 2007) factory moved from chain to wet belt (which is a shame in my opinion)

Same head/valves, turbo, intake, intercooler, exhaust, gearbox, injection pump etc

Couldnt notice any diferences besides block reference so I belive the 75hp 1.8 TDCI must be a detune of the 90HP

If any one have a diferent opinion let me know

Cheers
almetelo

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Of the mk1 generation - 75 hp has mechanical injectors as far as i know TDDI- so not the same pump....all the others are common rail TDCI with electrically controlled individual injectors.
i may be wrong , if so, i will be corrected

Think the map change is between the 90 hp and the 110 hp tdci
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby almetelo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:07 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Of the mk1 generation - 75 hp has mechanical injectors as far as i know TDDI- so not the same pump....all the others are common rail TDCI with electrically controlled individual injectors.
i may be wrong , if so, i will be corrected

Think the map change is between the 90 hp and the 110 hp tdci

My 75 and 90 motors are both Euro 4 TDCI common rail with siemens injectors (not mechanical injectors) and both use the same injection pump
almetelo

Return to Transit Connect