*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear anti roll bar help

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Rear anti roll bar help

Postby ianmayco68 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Hi all mk1 lwb , are the rear anti roll bar bushes fixed to the body by a nut and bolts or are there captive nuts in the body mounts ? Asking as I’m currently under the van doing the exhaust and they need changing also but they’re rusted in solid so thought I’d ask before I take the angle grinder to the bolt heads .
Cheers Ian
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rear anti roll bar help

Postby GHDirect » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi
I read your post requesting assistance on the anti roll bushes on your Transit Connect.
I was going to change mine but the bolts on my 2003 Connect Van are corroded and the top N/S has a fuel tank hose right next to it making grinding or drilling out a nightmare.
Did you have any success replacing them?

Any tips.

Regards

G H Direct
GHDirect

Postby ianmayco68 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 pm

Yes managed to do them , no one posted up so I thought go for it and it was a ball ache . The nuts on mine were welded in with three small tacks but they where normal flanged nuts which is why I posted up , I was replacing the exhaust as well so had that off which made access better . I sanded the heads off the bottom bolts then cut the bush and bracket off with the angle grinder then sanded the top nuts off , sanded the stubs down flush then drilled the three easy ones out but all I got a hammer and chisel too and hit them till the tacks broke . I got all out and then fitted nuts and bolts , but I had access to a pit which made things easier , I wouldn't like to do it lying on my back on the drive . If you decide to have a go you'll need to sand the ends down a bit off an open ended spanner to get to the top nuts . hope this helps .
Cheers Ian
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby GHDirect » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Thanks for the tips.
Still sounds a crap job to have to do.
Only good news for me is that I have access to a 4 post ramp.
Regards
GHDirect
GHDirect

Postby ianmayco68 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Yes one of the crap jobs but you should be okay as you have the lift , otherwise I’d let a garage do it . If you need any more help just ask .
Cheers Ian
ianmayco68
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect