*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Started, idled for a while died and now wont run

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Started, idled for a while died and now wont run

Postby Westieboy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:47 pm

My old ’03 Tourneo Connect 1.8 TDCI with Delphi injection - 5 seater - has been unused for a number of months.
I have never been sure whether it’s a good or bad thing to run and engine for say 10 mins and then turn it off but on the odd occasion when I have needed to it has started sort-of OK - each time needing longer cranking before the engine would fire.
Most recently, after an extra long crank it did start and, maybe stupidly, I did not give the engine a rev’ once the oil pressure came up. I just left it idling and went to move another vehicle. When I came back the engine had died and would not restart.
First I want to rule out an air leak in the fuel line from the tank.
This post
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=211105&p=1750229&hilit=clear+plastic+pipe#p1750229
Seems to describe what I need to do to check the lines although it mentions “start the engine” which won’t be happening in my case. From the description I cannot make out which clear plastic pipe one fits to where
Is this particular procedure applicable to Delphi systems? Can I find an illustrated description of the testing process mentioned above? (Youtube maybe)
Am I right in understanding that the fuel (diesel) is ’sucked’ from the tank purely by the high pressure pump? I haven’t located another pump - need I look a bit harder :?:
also
Is there a part no/source for the connectors that go on the to fuel filter? I am thinking of making up a short feed to supply fuel to the filter by gravity from a “canister”. Which is what masterslamma appears to have tried (ie used a canister)

Confirmation of the above notions and any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Westieboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Started, idled for a while died and now wont run

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:56 am

Here's what i think is the page from the manual --- with the illustrations at the bottom of the page

The reason i didn't post it with the illustrations on the thread you referred to is: because they would not copy over.

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/trans ... _ps-90_ps/
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:40 pm

hows this

A1: CHECK FOR AIR INGRESS INTO THE FUEL SYSTEM
CAUTION:
CAUTION:The generator must be protected from contamination. Failure to follow this instruction may cause premature failure of the generator
Protect the generator with lint-free material to prevent contamination (vehicles with 2.0 L diesel engine).
Using a suitable piece of clear plastic pipe, manufacture a pipe that may be installed between the fuel injection pump and the fuel filter return line.
Install the clear plastic pipe between the fuel injection pump and the fuel injection pump to fuel filter return line.
Start the engine, wait a few minutes and then visually observe the clear plastic pipe for signs of air ingress.
Are any signs of air present in the clear plastic pipe?
Yes
GO to A2. .
No
REMOVE the clear pipe and CONNECT the fuel return line to the fuel injection pump. For additional diagnostics for Fuel Charging and Controls REFER to Section [long list here]

A2: CHECK WHERE AIR IS ENTERING THE SYSTEM
Using suitable clean engine oil, apply the oil to each of the fuel supply and fuel return connections, unions and joints in turn and observe the clear pipe for visible signs of air after each oil application.
Did the amount air in the clear plastic pipe decrease when any of the connectors, unions or joints were oiled?
Yes
REPAIR the connector(s) or union(s) in question. Test the system for normal operation.
No
GO to A3. .

A3: CHECK THE FUEL FILTER HOUSING FOR SIGN OF AIR INGRESS
Ignition switch in position 0.
Disconnect the fuel injection pump return line from the fuel filter and the fuel filter to fuel tank return line.
Using a suitable connector, connect the fuel injection pump return line to the fuel filter to fuel tank return line.
Start the engine and observe the clear plastic pipe for visible signs of air.
Did the air decrease in the clear plastic pipe?
Yes
Air ingress is at the fuel filter or housing. REPAIR or INSTALL a new fuel filter or housing as necessary. Test the system for normal operation.
No
INSTALL a new fuel level sensor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Westieboy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:10 pm

@metalworker0
Thanks for posting that info (again) I had already managed to get the the Ford Workshop link you sent to work.
As I cannot start it I have resolved to give one of these a go:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234014828601
In the hope of ruling out drainback/air leak in the supply pipe to the filter.

AND

Potentially DUMB question - I cannot find the port for the OBD reader. Where on earth do Ford hide it?

Cheers.
W
Westieboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:01 pm

Westieboy wrote:
Potentially DUMB question - I cannot find the port for the OBD reader. Where on earth do Ford hide it?

Cheers.
W

Somewhere near the base of the steering column, under a plastic dash panel, might be to the right, under that panel (it's a while since I had a Connect!) Knee height?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Transit Connect