*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2018 Connect L2 and 17" or 18" wheels

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2018 Connect L2 and 17" or 18" wheels

Postby highroof » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:41 am

Anyone done the above? I'm thinking about it, but don't want to ruin what I think is a nice ride / steering /handling compromise that the standard van has on 16s.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: 2018 Connect L2 and 17" or 18" wheels

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 pm

Just my opinion - Well.... when people do these upgrades, they put tyres on with a different aspect ratio ...this is relationship to the tyres width to height
sidewall height is lower when they do this - if it wasn't your speedo would be off or the tyres may foul the wheel arches.

So your standard tyres may have a height from the rim of about 5 inches ...on 18 inch tyres that maybe as low as 3 inches and they would be looking like rubber bands, if you live in an area with those sharp angular rubber speed bumps .....I would think you would have to crawl over them at less than 5 mph to avoid damaging your new wheels! (note: i think the harshness of these speed bumps is intentional and aimed specifically at people who have these tyres fitted - as they - the local council, know that they will be fitted to the guys cars who like to drive the fastest) council don't care because the workers drive around in trucks or officials in large wide tracked 4x4s. the councils are out to spoil everyone's fun and i cant see them getting any better, only worse.

But with lower height tyres comes a harsh ride, maybe bumpy and with more tyre noise, and driving over those new tar and chipped roads would be extra harsh - Because you have less of a cushion of air to absorb and damp things out. if you hit a pot hole watch out!!!! - . Yes the van would handle better - but only on a racetrack.( no potholes speed bumps or roughness to worry about) yes they look great, that's about it - this the price you pay. ...you'll be paying a lot more though for these tyres than standard ones.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: 2018 Connect L2 and 17" or 18" wheels

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:28 pm

the 2018 Tc can handle 17s because it's a factory option. Currently our 2020 is not to far off from your 2018 and our van is set up with 17x7.5 but I selected the wrong profile tire so the van isn't handling correctly. I've seen 4 pics from customwheeloffset site showing 4 Tc's with either 18x8 or 18x9 on the van, but all of these vans have bene lowered. We're not looking to lower our van just installed the max size wheel which in this case would be the 18. Though I'm concerned with it being 18x8. So we're going with a rare 18x7.5 wheel instead. Image show that this is possible. but I'd really pay attention to the wheel offset if you want it to fit correctly. So far we've tested ET38 - ET40 without issues on the van. But the wheel-size site list the factory wheels at ET50.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect