*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Towing Eye Thread

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Towing Eye Thread

Postby overdraft » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:52 pm

Hi,
newb here... just got a beat up 2011 and found the towing eye in the (broken) glove box.
I thought it would be hilariously ironic to put an anodized tow eye on the bumper full time like the JDM guys do it...
eBay tells me that the one with BMW threads is compatible... could this be true? Are these left hand thread hooks relatively universal, or is someone in China just trying to get me to buy the wrong thing by saying it's compatible with whatever vehicle I have in the search bar...
Thanks!
overdraft

Re: Towing Eye Thread

Postby travelling man » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:39 pm

I can confirm that the towing eye has a reverse thread, but I have no idea of it's thread pitch.

But lots of ebay sellers will be delighted to sell you a proper Ford tow eye!
'05 Transit Connect T230 LX TDCi Engine buggered in Spain,replaced with a T200 base 12 plate in white which also buggered it's engine in Spain!
2nd Connect had breakdown insurance and an engine swap, see how long it lasts.....
travelling man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kenton » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:50 pm

overdraft wrote:Hi,
newb here... just got a beat up 2011 and found the towing eye in the (broken) glove box.
I thought it would be hilariously ironic to put an anodized tow eye on the bumper full time like the JDM guys do it...
eBay tells me that the one with BMW threads is compatible... could this be true? Are these left hand thread hooks relatively universal, or is someone in China just trying to get me to buy the wrong thing by saying it's compatible with whatever vehicle I have in the search bar...
Thanks!

Pretty sure the plod would have something to say about a towing eye poking out the front bumper without being on tow if you were unlucky.... What do you want to do that for? - Just out of curiosity. Must be a strange new fashion of some sort that I'm too old to grasp.. Just like the "stanced" thing - that looks ridiculous, and also dangerous. :?: :?
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby overdraft » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:32 pm

Kenton wrote:Pretty sure the plod would have something to say about a towing eye poking out the front bumper without being on tow if you were unlucky.... What do you want to do that for? - Just out of curiosity. Must be a strange new fashion of some sort that I'm too old to grasp.. Just like the "stanced" thing - that looks ridiculous, and also dangerous. :?: :?

I'm in Canada and for whatever reason the popo don't mind this... you see it all the time on cars that people dress up to look racy.

tow hook.jpg

it's daft of course, along the lines of adding a wing to the back of the family saloon which is why I thought it would be hilarious on a TC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
overdraft

Postby overdraft » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:36 pm

travelling man wrote:I can confirm that the towing eye has a reverse thread, but I have no idea of it's thread pitch.

But lots of ebay sellers will be delighted to sell you a proper Ford tow eye!

I've actually got the real one! I was just thinking of getting one of the fancy ones that the boy-racers leave attached all the time.
Ya, reverse thread, apparently to counteract being undone by a right hand laid tow cable spinning as it's loaded up.
Anyway, this is starting to become more work than the joke warrants!
overdraft

Postby Nordic Blue » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:38 pm

Kenton wrote:Pretty sure the plod would have something to say about a towing eye poking out the front bumper without being on tow if you were unlucky....

Agreed - I would imagine it would be thought of in terms of being likely to cause extra harm to pedestrians - which is why I assume most front end towing eyes these days detach when not needed.

A bit like uncovered wide wheels, jagged damaged bodywork etc.
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect