*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Changing vans

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Changing vans

Postby highroof » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Mike wrote:I’m not normally a fan of crappy after market grills, but those look the bollocks 8)

Thanks, I know what you mean. I'm not generally mad about anything aftermarket, and I hummed and haa'd about these for a while because the marketing pics are rubbish. If I hadn't already had them on something else I mightn't have bothered, but glad I did now they're on. Just as well, at £208! :shock:
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Done a few more bits. Had the ladder roller fittings powder coated, fitted the upper rear reflectors and bought a machine polisher to finally make a proper job of removing the ghosting from the signwriting it previously had.

IMG_1094-1.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

I just gave it one pass with the softest pad using Meguiars carnauba wax. Did the tailgate twice as it seemed to be suffering from blueing more than the other panels, then washed it again and gave the wet paintwork a misting of Q2M Wetcoat, blasted that off and dried. Water just runs off now, supposed to last for 8-10 washes. Starting to get there with it now. There are still some marks in the paint that I think I can shift with a harder pad and maybe some Meguiars ultimate compound, but it's much better than it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:41 pm

I'm very taken with this now. In spite of the indicated mpg falling off a cliff since the roof bars went on and me starting to settle into higher motorway speeds. Down from an initial 46 to 40.9 last week, and down from 485 miles on the first tank to 445 on the last one.

Never mind, it's lovely, quiet, happier going to work because I like driving it. If it proves reliable, what's not to like! I wish I'd bought one years ago. Headlamp upgrade required however, they really aren't currently any better than my 2009. I'm also wondering if there's room for a pair of spotlamps behind the grille.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:41 pm

highroof

I think you doing very well and we've went through the same with the fuel economy. But adding the K&N filter did help. But then again one has to realize fuel cost are going up. We're working hard on our build as we have a lot going on in the next few months. In fact bene invited out west (USA) to attend a test fitting of some new seat rails for the van. this will allow us to use any time of seat in the van.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 pm

Thanks, it drives great, the fuel consumption doesn't really bother me. I've owned a Mitsubishi Evo for nearly 20 years that gets 17mpg, so something around 40 is a real treat! Very happy with the van, the way it drives and the spec. If I could find more info and reviews on the net about how it affected reliability, I might get it remapped, but I really don't want to jeopardise it mechanically.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:31 pm

IMG_0921.jpg

So I'll have had this a year next month. Time flies when you're having fun! Only done 7k miles, so it's now at 42k, despite now being on my 2nd visit to Southampton from Newcastle to work. I'm generally getting 480 miles to a tank, although this took a nosedive on the way south last week. The trip computer, having suggested I might get 515 mies when setting off rapidly recalibrated when it realised there wasn't going to be much action below the mid 90s for much of the 335 miles and I ended up getting a pretty dismal 430 miles in total!

It's been trouble free, pretty much. I replaced the front discs and pads in November because of judder and used genuine parts as the cost was ok. Replaced the timing belt as well, because the van was new to me and I always do. That was also from Ford. I couldn't believe how much stuff had to come apart to do that, wipers and scuttle panel have to come off, brake and clutch fluid reservoir has to be moved, the list goes on The van looked like an exploded diagram of itself half way through!

I also did a mini service at 37k, which was 5k after the last stamp in the book. I won't run anything beyond that mileage on the same oil and filter, and for the sake of about £80, I got, again from Ford, 10l of oil, an oil filter, an air filer and replaced the wiper blades.

Then I set about the irritating yellow bulbs in the headlights and foglights. They date the van horribly, look crap when lit and might as well not be on for the difference they make. I ended up using a place I've used before, HIDs 4U in Southampton, and after a couple of false starts with things not operating correctly, finally ended up with a full set of Twenty20 6k LED bulbs which not only look modern but have the correct cut off for the beam pattern and are significantly better at actually providing light. I decided I wanted the foglights to provide the kind of light I'd get from spotlamps and specced bulbs for that purpose, although I've not changed the switching arrangement. This setup didn't come cheap......I'm £260 lighter for 8 bulbs! The n/s foglight bulb is a right giggle to fit, just to add to the misery. However.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:33 pm

Thanks for the update :D

Glad that it's still looking after you :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby travelling man » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 pm

Looks like a private ambulance......

:D
'05 Transit Connect T230 LX TDCi Engine buggered in Spain,replaced with a T200 base 12 plate in white which also buggered it's engine in Spain!
2nd Connect had breakdown insurance and an engine swap, see how long it lasts.....
travelling man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby highroof » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:05 am

travelling man wrote:Looks like a private ambulance......

:D

:lol: The very first question I asked when I rang up was " Did it used to be a private ambulance " !

It actually belonged to a chippie, as I discovered the first time it was parked in the sun and I caught sight of the ghosting from the removed signwriting. Total mare getting rid of that, had to buy a machine polisher to shift it in the end.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:35 pm

More additions. I liked the fact that, being a Trend, some of the plastics on the hearse aren't painted and add some contrast. However, the downside of that is that, in the case of the door mirrors, the plastics were scratched. I could have just replaced them like for like, but, after a look on ebay and google, found a company called Paintmodz who could supply me with a pair of gloss black mirror caps for £120. Sold.

While looking for these on ebay, I came across a seller supplying painted door handle covers for £25 a set. Seemed rude not to!

No idea why these are the wrong way up and can't seem to do anything about it!
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:39 pm

A while since I updated. This thing continues to impress me. I've done 17k miles in it now since Feb last year when I got it, so 52k in total.

It's been exemplary as far as reliability is concerned. I had concerns about a coolant leak, as I've had to top it up twice, but, for whatever reason, that seems to have cured itself. It uses no oil between services, although I change the oil and filter every 5 or 6 k between scheduled visits to Ford. I've piled the mileage on this year as I've been working away much more often than most years. I joined Costco and started using their diesel, which the hearse seems to like. That, and a combo of me taking it a bit more easy on the throttle combined to see a single tank almost crack 600 miles, which I find amazing for something this size, full of kit and with a roofrack. On that tank it averaged 46.6 per gallon.

It went in to Ford in Southampton for a service at 48k miles, and had all filters and the oil changed. The bill was just over £400 after some negotiation. They initially wanted about £70 more than the dealer I had intended to use near Newcastle ( where I live ), but I was working away when it was due. I initially got £40 off the bill, then, when it was finished they realised that the girl giving me a lift in to collect it was a regular customer and knocked another £30 off! I felt it ended up being a good deal given the work done and a stamp in the book. They pointed out a minor weep from the offside gearbox/driveshaft seal and detached bumpstops on the rear shockers, neither of which I was especially concerned about.

I had it 4 wheel aligned at my go to place in Southampton, not because it felt like it needed it, but because I could and I don't really get charged due to knowing the guy who runs the place. As expected, from the tyre wear pattern, it was almost still in factory spec, only requiring a tiny tweak.

After a few days working on the Isle of Wight, I was on the ferry back to Southampton. As I was coming back to the van, I observed a guy in a Transporter open the passenger door and hit my drivers door. He clearly was hoping to get away with it as he quickly closed the door and started to walk away. I was already in a strop about the way my week had gone. I lost my temper and basically went into orbit. Having established that I was in front of him in the queue to get off the boat, I told him I'd block the exit and keep him there until he squared me up for the damage. Occasionally having a rough geordie accent and the appearance and demeanour of an escaped mental patient with a history of violence does work in my favour, and the bloke duly got his hand in his pocket. I have a Newcastle supporting friend in Southampton who is a dent guy, he took that dent and 3 other very shallow dents in the drivers side rear quarter out for £40, £20 less than I took off the guy on the ferry, so we spent the rest on beer! :lol:

My main concern recently has been the possibility of it getting stolen or damaged if it gets broken onto. The place I stay in Southampton is a nice area, but has recently become a constant target for vans. There's nothing of value in mine as I'm a decorator, but scumbags are like as not to break in anyway to find out, and then you still have a damaged van to contend with. To that end, I decided to investigate ways of dissuading a perp from having a go at it.

After a nose around on google, I bought a 125db Vanmate remote alarm with optional extra siren. It's battery operated, but has the option of being permanently powered from a usb source, so I ran a cable in from the cab, mounted the PIR on the sliding door, pointing at the tailgate, so it sees movement at both doors. I mounted the additional siren just above the sliding door, so it gets you right in the ear if the door is opened. For £42 all in, I'm happy with it, but decided that, as good as it is, it will only deter someone who has already damaged the van getting in, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

To that end, I did some more research and settled on a battery operated 110db Cruxer remote bike alarm with 7 position vibration sensor. It's rechargeable via usb and I'll probs wire it permanently. I mounted the siren just above the sliding door, just above and behind the sliding roller hinge. This has given additional security, in as much that a gentle tap at the top of the door, where it would likely be attacked, has the effect of the alarm giving off a warning chirp. If it continues to be attacked, it goes off.

I'm really impressed with this, and it was only £20! It is super sensitive, but hasn't given any false alarms. It turns out if I buy another I can pair both sirens to work from one remote, and pair the other remote as a spare, so I'm probably going to do this and mount another siren on the tailgate. Then move the Vanmate into the cab, as I don't have a factory alarm on it as standard.

The one downside of all this is that I now have an extremely cluttered keyring, as in addition to the van key, there is the garage remote, a disklock key, my ladder clamp keys and now the two additional remotes for the alarms. :lol:

Wow, long post, sorry!
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:18 am

I'm now on the hunt for the elusive rear 12v connector. Awkward as mine is completely boarded out, and being a Trend will probs not be enabled anyway. I'll worry about that in the unlikely scenario I find the connector in the first place! :lol:
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:19 am

highroof wrote:No idea why these are the wrong way up and can't seem to do anything about it!

us this online image editor: https://www12.lunapic.com/editor/

upload your images then set the orientation then crop and save, then try your forum upload again.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:54 am

IMG_1993.jpg
After finally figuring out that brute force and ignorance was the way forward with regard to the removal of the front grille, I decided that, as far as lighting's concerned, too much is never enough.

I work in some pretty remote places, including the New Forest, which has random beasts ambling about on the road in the middle of the night.

2 Hella 500ffs and another pair of 50ffs above. I've ordered the whitest ( 5800k ) halogen bulbs I could find to match as best I can the LED upgrades in the headlights and fog lights. Finding space and mounting them proved challenging. They're in though, albeit still requiring some stabilising and adjustment tweaks to the larger lower lights. That can wait, I'm busy building an over specced loom with dedicated fusebox and relays at the mo, in case I want to upgrade to 100 watt bulbs in future. I'm going to wire in each lamp individually so I can easily figure out which one is causing problems should I experience such a thing in future.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Connect