*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New wet belt alignment

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

New wet belt alignment

Postby spoonman » Sun May 22, 2022 7:50 am

Hi there,

I just bought a new wet belt kit, unfortunately the rubber band went off on transport.
There are two red lines on the outside of the belt and an arrow, but I haven't seen any marks on the wheels.
Does anyone know how it all fits together?

IMG_20220521_113157.jpg

Cheers,
Lars
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spoonman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: New wet belt alignment

Postby metalworker0 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Watch whole video

around about the 14 mins, he explains the info you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l6-JUImJQw

note: you need the case/cover alignment cone-tool ..or you will get oil leaks.

And i would be wary of anything not genuine ford or made by Dayco the original manufacturers - as you have a belt that is made to run in oil ..and only Dayco / Ford have the tech to make a one that could last the mileage. I Would not trust anything else! . as even these have their failings!

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby spoonman » Sun May 22, 2022 3:50 pm

Thank you mate, in the video is just the pump wheel with a mark.
I hope when the crankshaft is blocked the small wheel will fit in the proper position.

BTW, turns the engine clockwise as viewed from the front, or counterclockwise??

Cheers,
Lars
spoonman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:14 pm

Engine turns clockwise ..looking from cambelt side you are working on .
suggest you watch the video a number of times - as that fellow fully explains everything ..far better than i could with typing and no diagrams.
That video is possibly the best tutorial you are going to get, i cannot elaborate on it , other than - It's important to have all locking tools in place

. (note you can get away without using the locking tools on a cambelt ONLY change and just use tipex to mark the pulleys...but not on this job you are about to do)

note: i have never done this job myself, I've only replaced the cambelt .

There are others here who have done the job, but as far as that fellow (Alan Howatt) in the video goes ..Don't think anyone of those here can show it better than him.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby spoonman » Wed May 25, 2022 6:59 am

Yeah, it's a very good tutorial video.
Indeed, the belt is by Dayco and I am working on the centering tools.
Just got the turbo overhauled and with 10 years and 200k on the clock I think the belts should be renewed.

Cheers,
Lars
spoonman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Yeah, at that mileage/ Kilometres it should be near the end of its life ,..may be worse, about to break / fail etc ...make sure you take plenty of pictures and put them on here....as a warning.
Dayco --- i was looking at the belts box ..yes, as long as it says Dayco on the belt you are safe .

I think were you are stumbling maybe ...is the timing on the second pulley ..it does not have timing on that one its basically an idler that drives the pump and carries the "train" to the top ..but it does have to be lined up with the correctly on the flange of the pump. but does not have to orientate its self to anything else. the timing is on the cams at the top and the crank.

Yes, it is sort of hard to get your head around it .

Construction of the alignment tool
..I noticed, he said that if he tightened the bolts fully with it in place it was hard to get out ...maybe the tool, if made correctly, it should have a very slight taper on it. worth experimenting maybe ..whilst you are making it.

it's good practice to replace the water pump whilst you are at it .

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby spoonman » Sun May 29, 2022 11:09 am

Spoke to the seller, they'll send me a new belt.
Time to clean up everything and prepare for dismantling :)

Cheers,
Lars
spoonman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby spoonman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:07 pm

Work in progress...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spoonman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pugo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:57 pm

make sure you torque fuel pump pulley up correctly as i have cracked them before by over tightening them and it pulls pulley into casing so that engine struggles to turn over...........a time consuming mistake!!
pugo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Boghopper » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:41 pm

Spoonman, seriously, why didn't you convert it to a chain whilst you were there? I think I'm going to cry!
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:29 pm

Boghopper wrote:Spoonman, seriously, why didn't you convert it to a chain whilst you were there? I think I'm going to cry!

Maybe so ..but he's probably weighed things up -- how long the van has left in it ..will it do another 90,000 or so.
what's the price of genuine ford timing chain kit ££££££--- - unlike dayco (which is what he bought) who are original equipment belt supplier to ford, if he bought the after market timing chain kit , he would not know the quality ..so i recon he made the right judgement....

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Boghopper » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:56 pm

Maybe so ..but he's probably weighed things up -- how long the van has left in it ..will it do another 90,000 or so.
what's the price of genuine ford timing chain kit ££££££--- - unlike dayco (which is what he bought) who are original equipment belt supplier to ford, if he bought the after market timing chain kit , he would not know the quality ..so i recon he made the right judgement....

all the best.mark

If he is going to all this trouble and expense in the first place he must be thinking the van has few years of life in it. To be going to this trouble and not elimininating probably the biggest killer of Connects, is not a good idea. I would prefer an after-market chain (which aren't expensive), to any rubber belt sat in contaminated engine oil, any day of the week. So I reckon he made the wrong judgment. All the best, Boghopper.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby spoonman » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:40 am

Hi guys,

I was offline a couple of weeks, Tourneo engine runs pretty well
It took a long time to get the belt kit returned for a new one, without a snapped rubber band.

Cheers,
Lars
spoonman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect