*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Coolant level dropping but no sign of a leak!?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Coolant level dropping but no sign of a leak!?

Postby SandyHenderson » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:44 pm

Hey all, I come to you with yet another issue with the connect :lol: . I recently had my alternator and wiring loom replaced and also a new battery. But now Ive noticed my coolant level seems to be dropping. It was well lower than the min marking so I topped it up to just below the max marking, and its went back down to just above the min marking, over a few days. There's some noise (like a tick (I've had my timing belt replaced) coming from the area around the pulleys. Seems to disappear when I rev to 1500 revs. Turning the wheel at low revs or dry steering makes a (ticking) noise too. Steering feels fine but I noticed the noise a good while ago. But the other noise I mentioned at the pulleys seems to just happen on it's own when idling and disappears like I said, when I rev. I've checked some of the radiator hoses from the coolant reservoir and other hoses that go from the radiator and they all seem fine with no noticable leaks. I've checked my oil which seems nice and black too.

I'll attach a pic I took of the area near the alternator. I noticed a tonne of black stuff over it, my mechanic was here just a week ago so I doubt it's anything to worry about or he'd of said, but just wanted to show you lot anyway. Is there a bolt missing from that timing belt cover? Or is that hole for something else?

Any helps appreciated as always troops! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Coolant level dropping but no sign of a leak!?

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:51 pm

The belt is cracked and needs replacing, when replaced there is a chance that it may stop ticking .
its had a new alternator recently ..the person who changed that should have replaced the belt ..if he was on the ball.
The oil leak is the crankshaft pulley, you need to keep an eye on that.
If your engine was made after october 2007, then behind the pulley is a "wet belt" that will need replacing at around 100.000 miles ..replacing this involves replacing the seals so will cure the oil leak .
Only trouble is that its an expensive job to do .
if made before 2007 ..then its chain ..and it will not need replacing until well after 150,000 or 200,000.

Your coolant leak in these summer months could be the radiator ...they can leak coolant and it can evaporate off the cooling fins without you noticing ..but if it has antifreeze in it..it will leave a crystallised stain. on the radiator - usually near the tanks at each end, In the winter you will see the steam, if it's not the radiator it could be a lot of other things ..that i will not go into yet

Something else I've noticed due to your good pictures, the crankshaft pulley - the rubber shock adsorbing part of it is beginning to deteriorate ..there are chunks missing ...,.this may cause the ticking noise...so replace it and have the seal done at the same time ,...whilst you are there ..you may as well replace the timing chain, as replacing that seal will involve taking the case cover off. - if its at a high mileage then do it ..if you can afford it ..is the rest of the van is in good condition, is it worth it , this is the decision you have to make

The missing bolt is on a plastic cover ..needs replacing ..but you should not worry about it.

all the best...mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi, so my vans the 06 version and I've had my timing chain replaced. As for the fan belt, I'd of preferred that to be replaced however my mechanic goes by the thinking that if it's not broke then don't fix it or else you end up spending a fortune. So I imagine once it breaks, he'll get to the crankshaft if that's causing the leak there. But thanks for pointing that out! I'll double check the radiator! Could be my water pump? I don't see any sign of leaks, just the aged white metal stains on it.
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:45 pm

SandyHenderson wrote:Hi, so my vans the 06 version and I've had my timing chain replaced. As for the fan belt, I'd of preferred that to be replaced however my mechanic goes by the thinking that if it's not broke then don't fix it or else you end up spending a fortune. So I imagine once it breaks, he'll get to the crankshaft if that's causing the leak there. But thanks for pointing that out! I'll double check the radiator! Could be my water pump? I don't see any sign of leaks, just the aged white metal stains on it.

Sometimes water pumps have weep holes , these are "tell tails" that let you know its on its way out ..any evidence of seepage, however small, at the weep hole means that water pump has not long left .

The timing chain ..when it was replaced required special tools to align the chaincase and seal to the crankshaft ,..if this alignment tool was not used ..it MAY leak...perhaps that's the problem.
The water pump is recommended to be replaced when the timing chain is replaced

Note: you could replace that crankshaft seal again ..and it will leak again if the chaincase isnt aligned.
The chaincase crushable steel gasket is a one use item ...you need to buy another chaincase gasket if this job is attempted again.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:24 pm

Any idea where on the sides it leaks from the radiator? I'm looking and can't see much from laying on the ground
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:43 pm

would probably leak here - either side note red bits ive added
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:55 pm

if no leaks found your next visit is to the oil cooler
if nothing there look at the EGR cooler ..

then if nothing there heater core

if nothing there
head gasket

listed in order cheapest

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:56 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look next time I'm out at the van! Much appreciated bud! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:56 pm

Just to add my tuppence worth. Your engine being 2006 most probably wont have an EGR cooler.
Hope you're doing ok Sandy! :wink:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:49 pm

Thanks for that Kenton! I'm good pal, thanks!! Hope you and your wee van are doing well?

Update here, I've been keeping an eye on the coolant level. It lowered to the point it was just above the minimum marker, so I topped it up. Can't see any coolant leaks anywhere and my oil is still black so that's good. But since I last topped her up a few weeks ago, it hasn't dropped at all? How odd. Wonder what the issue is?
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:41 pm

Mine is 2006 and does have an EGR cooler.
Looks like it may be stainless steel

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby John235 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:36 pm

I had a similar problem, but it only occured if the engine got overhot! I fianlly traced it to the fan not working. The fan itself was okay, but there is a reistor in the circuit, mounted into the radiator cover. Inside that there is a thermal fuse, which had blown! Officially, it is not replaceable, but I managed to bypass it. No problems since!
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:40 pm

Thanks for the input John! I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again then I'll look into the fuse! Thanks :wink:
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:24 pm

A little update. Coolant level sat at the same spot for weeks there. But I took her out a run yesterday. Maybe an hour or so of driving each way and with the hot weather too. Looked at coolant level this morning, it's dropped a little but is still in the safe zone. Just wondering if this points towards anything? I had my fans on the 3rd setting and was blowing air through to the cab as it was roasting. Any more ideas? I keep looking down through the bay and can't seem to see any obvious signs. Oils still a healthy black.
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Expansion cap ..have a look at it ..it should say 1.2 bar on it . or 17.5 psi or whatever kg or pascal 1.2 bar is equal to
Could be faulty allowing coolant to escape- seals degraded , wrong cap - wrong pressure.

Other places that it can leak undetected are the heater core - but if you've got antifreeze in it you will smell it.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Transit Connect