*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Auxiliary engine pre-heater repair

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Auxiliary engine pre-heater repair

Postby YRob » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 pm

Hi all.

I have a 2012 Transit Connect fitted with an auxiliary engine and cabin pre-heater. I think it preheats the oil sump by circulating water heated by a diesel burner, and can also be used to pre-heat the cabin without running the engine. It's probably an Eberspacher, and I've found a likely parts diagram on 7zap.com. It doesn't work and I'd really like it to, for our cold Norwegian winters.

I didn't realize you should run this every month to avoid issues with fuel and water delivery. I believe it worked when I bought the van, but when I tried to use it a couple of winters back it had no effect and no exhaust coming from the small pipe under the engine. At some point after that I did get an abortive cloud of smoke and diesel smell, but nothing since. I gather from another thread on the main transit forum that these have safety lockout after a number of failed starts.

Does anyone have any experience working on these pre-heaters?

The first obstacle I see is that the unit is quite inaccessible in the Connect: behind the engine on the bulkhead - is there a trick to accessing it?

Then how might I go about testing the fuel pump, water pump and ignition systems?

Lastly is it possible to reset the control system (and lockout)?

Any help much appreciated!

Rob
YRob
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect