*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Buying a Transit Connect - what should I look for

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Buying a Transit Connect - what should I look for

Postby Luke in Bournemouth » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:01 pm

I need a small van and I think that I've found a Transit Connect with the features I need. It's a 2010 model with 155 000 miles on the clock. It's T230HR with 1.8TDCI engine.

What should I look out for? I don't want to buy a bag of nails, but I'm not terribly mechanically minded.

Cheers for your thoughts
Luke in Bournemouth

Re: Buying a Transit Connect - what should I look for

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:58 pm

All diesel connects after 2007 have a wetbelt . (a belt running in oil).......that can completely destroy engine if it breaks ..and this could be anytime before after 100,000 miles

The engine has two belts ..upper and lower ..pre 2007 engines have chains as the lower and a dry upper belt, after that date ...wetbelt lower and dry belt upper.
Be very careful listening to someone ..that says the belt has been changed ..as they are usually talking about the upper belt ..the lower belt gets ignored and isn't on the service schedule ..and is a long drawn out job to change it ..
so you could be in for an expensive surprise at 150,000.

Also ..on the TDCI engines ..the diesel high pressure pump , can fail and spread swarf throughout the system ..this will lead to the injectors failing ..and it needing a complete flush of the fuel system plus new pump...early indications are it going into limp mode.

Turbos ..they recon are good for 150,000..so it could be already on its way out.

Rust ...the sills rot from the inside out ..and any van over 10 years old may have already been patched ,..hiding a lot of destruction and rot inside.

A sill replacement, to do it properly is not a simple, quick or easy job ......i recon about 90 percent of the replacements are, hide whats really inside,cover up jobs.

EGR's.....can play up, and if you cant maintain this item its going to cost you.

Gearboxes ...are designed to last maybe 150,000 without an oil change ........if the oil has been changed regularly ..say every 50,000 then that box will last 300,000 or more

other than above is free from any other faults..except long term replacements components needed at higher mileages, like any other make of van.... THAT WILL BE an endless list, of yearly mot failures.

to sum it up ..if you have no mechanical experience stay clear of any van that has more than 70,000 miles on it.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Buying a Transit Connect - what should I look for

Postby Kenton » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:48 pm

metalworker0 wrote:All diesel connects after 2007 have a wetbelt . (a belt running in oil).......that can completely destroy engine if it breaks ..and this could be anytime before after 100,000 miles

The engine has two belts ..upper and lower ..pre 2007 engines have chains as the lower and a dry upper belt, after that date ...wetbelt lower and dry belt upper.
Be very careful listening to someone ..that says the belt has been changed ..as they are usually talking about the upper belt ..the lower belt gets ignored and isn't on the service schedule ..and is a long drawn out job to change it ..
so you could be in for an expensive surprise at 150,000.

Also ..on the TDCI engines ..the diesel high pressure pump , can fail and spread swarf throughout the system ..this will lead to the injectors failing ..and it needing a complete flush of the fuel system plus new pump...early indications are it going into limp mode.

Turbos ..they recon are good for 150,000..so it could be already on its way out.

Rust ...the sills rot from the inside out ..and any van over 10 years old may have already been patched ,..hiding a lot of destruction and rot inside.

A sill replacement, to do it properly is not a simple, quick or easy job ......i recon about 90 percent of the replacements are, hide whats really inside,cover up jobs.

EGR's.....can play up, and if you cant maintain this item its going to cost you.

Gearboxes ...are designed to last maybe 150,000 without an oil change ........if the oil has been changed regularly ..say every 50,000 then that box will last 300,000 or more

other than above is free from any other faults..except long term replacements components needed at higher mileages, like any other make of van.... THAT WILL BE an endless list, of yearly mot failures.

to sum it up ..if you have no mechanical experience stay clear of any van that has more than 70,000 miles on it.

all the best.mark

Wow. The bible of life right here. Could, might, if.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler