*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Stalling/turning over issue EGR???

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Stalling/turning over issue EGR???

Postby Ben Corteyn » Mon May 29, 2023 5:56 pm

Hi. Having some issues with my van (Ford Transit Connect 2003), currently replaced fuel pump fuel filter and after two sets of fault refurbed injectors i got some brand new one. Only remaining fault code is EGR Valve and it has two cables stickign out of it. Also have a gash on my air filter pipe which is being replaced later this week.

Van is currently running choppy, making some weird noises, cutting out when coming to a stop, struggling to turn over, and stalling when idling or when coming to a stop. (would these be related to egr and air filter?)

My main concern is that these issues are due to the EGR valve having two cables hanging out of it. Earlier today i came to a stop at some traffic lights, the van stalled out, i could just about get it to turn over and pull into first gear then it would stall out again. After rolling it to a curb I had a fiddle with my EGR cables and attempted to push them through the holes (in photo below). This seemed to fix the fault and i drove home as usual, about five mins from my house the van started struggling to accelerate and i basically had to drive the remaining distance in second gear at 20mph. Once i got back i popped the bonnet again and could easily pull out the cables from the egr valve.

My questions are
- Would these issues I'm facing be caused from EGR and Air filter or could there be another underlying issues?
- How can i get the cables back into the clip of the EGR permanently as they cannot be pushed in in the way most electrical fittings can?
- Which order should the cables be fitted into the clip?

Thanks so much if youre able to help, really coming to my wits end with this van so would love to see it fixed and see an end of mechanic bills.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben Corteyn

Re: Stalling/turning over issue EGR???

Postby metalworker0 » Mon May 29, 2023 10:04 pm

That's the old EGR set-up just like mine

It can be blanked off easily and forgotten about...eliminating it from causing any future problems
I think you have multiple issues with the battery and/or earths, i cant imagine a fault with the egr making it hard to turn the engine over
...unless

you have a huge mileage ..plus 200,000 or less if its been neglected and used for lots of short trips in slow moving traffic then the egr and manifold could be totally plugged up with deposits

You see the egr mixes exhaust gasses back into the engine , it is supposed to make the engine produce less emissions ...which it does do when it new ..and then slowly goes downhill from that date.

The exhaust gasses mix with oil from the breather system and combine to make a nasty horrible bitumen / thick carbony substance, that plugs the inlet manifold ..coats the inlet ports and inlet valves.

can look like example pic below (not a connect) all the way up to the inlet valves.

do check your battery and related things first
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by metalworker0 on Mon May 29, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Stalling/turning over issue EGR???

Postby metalworker0 » Mon May 29, 2023 10:20 pm

you need to take the inlet pipe off and look down where the arrow points. see how much crap is in there .

the other picture shows the manifold off ..and location where the blanking plate goes

in the mean time get down to the vehicle dismantlers yard and chop a part off the wiring loom containing that plug..and re[place yours with it .
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect