*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear Disc Brake Pad Change on a 2006 Transit Connect

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Rear Disc Brake Pad Change on a 2006 Transit Connect

Postby liteace » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:50 pm

No its just the cable adjuster, to fit new cable you have to lower exhaust and remove heat shields, if you slacken off the adjuster make sure you dont loosen to much and lose the end of the cable
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Piglet » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:32 am

Cables are out, both seized solid at the caliper end, I had to hacksaw one through the ferrule to get it off the hook.
Heatshields were straight forward enough but not a job to rush.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Advice please.
Failed on re-test, poor handbrake efficiency. Footbrake passed.
New cables, new pads, calipers seem fine with nice slick operation of the cable levers.
BUT, OLD DISCS, they were hardly worn so I cleaned them up with a grinder and threw them back in.

Trouble is there are just not enough miles between home and the MOT station to bed the pads into the not perfectly flat discs.
Despite me driving up and down the road murdering the handbrake they are still crap and I can see that the pads are only working on 50% of the disc.
I could pop down the road in the morning and lash out on discs :( , but I will be mightily unhappy :( :( :( if it makes no difference.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby liteace » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:01 pm

new discs = 80% disc, pad surface contact, it would have been 95-100% if you hadnt of tried to bed the new pads into the old discs, the more pad touching the disc the better the handbrake

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul2012 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Piglet wrote:Advice please.
Failed on re-test, poor handbrake efficiency. Footbrake passed.
New cables, new pads, calipers seem fine with nice slick operation of the cable levers.
BUT, OLD DISCS, they were hardly worn so I cleaned them up with a grinder and threw them back in.

Trouble is there are just not enough miles between home and the MOT station to bed the pads into the not perfectly flat discs.
Despite me driving up and down the road murdering the handbrake they are still crap and I can see that the pads are only working on 50% of the disc.
I could pop down the road in the morning and lash out on discs :( , but I will be mightily unhappy :( :( :( if it makes no difference.

NOTE - handbrake & service brake (Foot brake) both operate the same pads. :!:

If service brake is fine but not parking brake (handbrake)

Make sure cables are in their correct locations, especially the short one at the front for handbrake lever. Re-adjust cable at handbrake lever.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Piglet » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 pm

All sorted, thanks for the help Paul & Liteace.
Splashed the cash on discs, gave the handbrake a good pasting on the drive over and it passed easily.

The foot brake was a pass on the old discs but only just, foot brake must generate significantly more clamp force than the hand brake.

I was aghast to find my brand new hand brake cables had rubbed on the backs of the tyres and exposed the steel sheath. I bound the damage with tape and pulled them back with cable ties around the shocks. The old ones were the same.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby liteace » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Piglet wrote:All sorted,

The foot brake was a pass on the old discs but only just, foot brake must generate significantly more clamp force than the hand brake.

Thats good news, yes foot brake will generate significantly more clamp force than the hand brake, any hydraulic force is going to a lot higher that lever and cable force

liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby airconman » Wed May 31, 2023 9:25 pm

I know it's a serious bump but, which way do the calipers pistons rotate to wind in?

I'm looking at buying the correct tool.

Thanks in advance
airconman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Boghopper » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:22 pm

They don't need actually "winding" in, they just need pushing back in. A small wood working g-cramp will do it. You might need to loosen off the bleed nipple to help the piston move. I always, just before pushig it back in, gently lift the dust boot and squirt a bit of Duck Oil onto the piston walls as well; helps stop it corroding and aids getting it moving/ loosened.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:42 pm

we are talking rear discs here, with hand brake mechanism within caliper
I think you do wind them in, i've looked at pictures of the caliper, it has two holes in the piston for winding in ...you need a tool with two prongs ...similar to what you would use to undo an angle grinder disc.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Boghopper » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:45 pm

The pistons do not turn on the seal, they just move out and in, depending on what position the pedal is. The handbrake cable makes no difference, the pistons are still moved in and out, not rotated. The tool has locating pins to centralise and locate the tool onto the piston. the head of the tool can rotate independently to the threaded part so that the piston is not rotated, thus twisting/ tearing the dust boot. The outer walls of the pistons are smooth, they do not have threads on them. I have never rotated a piston in any calipers to remove or install them. When I remove them I usually just blow them straight out with an air-line. Installing them I use silicone grease and just push fit them straight back in. A woodworking g-cramp can be used as it also has a rotating head, which is independant of the threaded part that needs turning. As the cramp is done up the threaded part turns but the head doesn't and only pushes on the piston, but not not turn it.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby airconman » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:55 pm

Cheers for the replies.

I've ended up buying a multi set which has left handed and right handed tool.

I'm sure I'll manage it now.
airconman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Transit Connect