*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Transit Connect LPG

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Transit Connect LPG

Postby sambrown » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:48 pm

I've had problems with my 2004 Transit Connect LPG. At about 40,000 it developed a sticky valve and had to have the head off to repair. Now at 95K it is losing compression in one cylinder. The dealership took the head off and did something to the tappitts (sorry, now going into areas I do not understand, but I'll continue as best I can) but am still losing compression on one cylinder.
Someone told me that Ford were aware of a design problem and that the valves have been changed since the 2004 model, however my dealership says there's been no change.
Should I get a new head? New valves? New van? Any advice/similar problems would be great.
Thanks. Sam.
sambrown
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby coconut » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:18 pm

LPG engines do tend to suffer with burning out valves and valve seats because they run much hotter than petrol.
We replace complete heads (they come complete with valves etc) rather than messing around replacing single valves and refacing valve seats.
I am not aware of any change in designs of the head, but I do try to stay away from LPG vans :P
I miss my 'courtesy van'............140 Glx..now a Jumbo :(
User avatar
coconut
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 3406
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby sambrown » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. Rough cost for a new head all fitted etc?
sambrown
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby coconut » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Its about 6 hours to remove and install the head plus 1.5 hours to swap bits over (thats book times) plus the price of the head, gaskets bolts etc (sorry dont know the price of them!!)
I miss my 'courtesy van'............140 Glx..now a Jumbo :(
User avatar
coconut
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 3406
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby transitgeoff » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:50 pm

loads and loads :!:
transitgeoff
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6574
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:32 pm

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby sambrown » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 pm

Thanks again. 95,000 miles doesn't seem a great life-expectancy for an engine. When I took the van in to Ford and suggested that it needed a new head, they insisted on doing a full diagnostic. They decided to adjust the tappitts and I ended up with a £380 bill - money I would have preferred to have spent on a new head - and still had a lumpy engine! I'll be more assertive when I see them on Tuesday!
sambrown
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby dug1001 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:07 am

Hi,

I had to get my head replaced at 142,000 miles. Valve had apparently worn through too much to be repaired.

Mines a 2003 2.3 Transit, the head was £740 + vat from Fords, and in total the whole job cost around £1700! including vat.

That was with the new head, bolts, timing chain, gaskets, full service etc,etc.

(it wasn't done by a dealer btw)
dug1001
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby sambrown » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for the info. My mechanic has found a company who replace the head with upgraded ones! Super-duper extra hard valves etc. When I have details I'll post the info. Mine's in the workshop at the moment... Should be ready wednesday. Very excited!
sambrown
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby UK_ANDY » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:52 pm

:idea: Have you thaught of fitting one of these ??? http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/FlashLube.html
old ford's never die they just go faster

Click here to vote for the forum in the Ford top 50 sites!!
User avatar
UK_ANDY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:18 pm
Location: wolverhampton uk

Re: Transit Connect LPG

Postby sambrown » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks for the link! Have forwarded it to my mechanic. New head doing fine so far!
sambrown
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:39 pm


Return to Transit Connect



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.