by matt_jagger » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:57 pm
defo the offside drive shaft, I had the same vibration, then it went insane after another 400-500 miles, whobbly under power, if I dipped the clutch it went away etc etc, dead common problem apparently, the mechanic who I spoke to called it mondeo syndrome, as these have the same problem.
It will be where the 2 parts of the offside drive shaft meet, in the cylinder is a CV joint set up, open up the rubber outer, pull apart and see all the metal bits fall out all over. I tends to be just one of the parts that transfer the drive that faisl but I had 2 fall to bits, and as there are only 4 points of transfer, it had one hell of a whobble.
You may also notice a knocking over bumps coming from the centre of the engine bay but low down as the parts move, as they should, any damage already within the cylinder on the drive shaft make a metalic ping and knock over only slight changes in road surface.
I got quoted £290 without VAT
E bay, offside drive shaft with a 20k warranty was about £90 delivered
Took me an hour to change out, dead easy to do, just lost a bit of gearbox oil, easily sorted though.
Jack it up, and give it a wiggle, you'll know if it's gone the same way as mine did.