*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

F9da to a kkda

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

F9da to a kkda

Postby Casper01277 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:18 am

Hello to forum
Had a good f9da engine in back of work shop and a 09 plate connect with (wet belt) kkda engine (smashed to bits),
So thought just as an experiment I'd swap them over.
All went well, had to swap over fuel pump and convert to belt system which was ok because cassette belt kit comes complete with new pulleys. Had to clean rust out of injector sleeves to except later injectors (slightly fatter than the earlier type). Cam cover because of cam sensor.
Now I know the f9da has a compression ratio of 18-1 and the kkda is 17-1, also combustion chambers in Pistons differ slightly but on start up it sounds really nice, starts easy and revs up as it should.
Question is,
What is going to happen?
Is it going to effect performance in a massive detrimental way?
Is it going to have piston melt down on the motor way?
The big end journals/bearings are the same size so should be able to cope,
So over to you guys, what do you think is going to be the outcome.
Casper01277

Re: F9da to a kkda

Postby liteace » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:37 pm

The F9DA is 18.5-1

Nothing is going to happen, the reason the KKDA is 17-1 is down to emissions, it may run a little hotter when its under full load BUT its a van and not a track car so I wouldnt worry about it, if any heat problem a slightly bigger intercooler will sort it, the only problem you might have is smoke or running problems due to the shape of the combustion chambers
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul2012 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Changed cam cover due to cam sensor. DId it not have a hole for sensor. :?:

If so Then engine you've used is not F9DA.

I suspect you've used the earlier TDDI engine (C9BD). Later siemens injectors will fit this TDDI engine. Albeit abit tight.
Main different is piston & compression ratio - TDDI compression ratio is 19.4

On TDDI engines fuel is injected into each cylinder only once, during cylinders cycle (main injection)

ON TDCI engine fuel in injected into each cylinder at multiple times.
Pre injection - helps reduce engine noise
Main injection.
Post injection - Raises temperature of exhaust gases to reduce emissions

This results in higher combustion temperatures. Which can lead to cracked / melted pistons on inferior or weaker TDDI/TDCI pistons
(On Connect engines 110ps have different pistons than 75/90ps TDCI engines)

Engine will run, but for how long is anyone's guess. As Liteace has said could be abit smokey. Therefore unlikey to pass UK MOT smoke test.
All diesels 1st used from 2008 to present smoke - limit is 1.5

Also due to piston differences may lead to poor performance.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Casper01277 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:32 am

Swapped cam cover over because one sensor was black the other grey and covers were off so just easier to swap as to change over, they looked the same though.
Doesn't seem to smoke at all. It's going for an MOT Tuesday so shall see what they come up with.
It's a no loose situation, so I'll give it a good thrashing and see what happens, if anything me thinks a piston crown melt is likely outcome in long run. Will report back
Casper01277

Postby Boghopper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:05 am

Has the ignition timing been advanced/retarded between the two different motors? That will also have an impact on things if they have been.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Casper01277 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:43 am

First 500 miles done without any signs of trouble, very very slightly down on power, no "noticeable" difference in fuel consumption, starts on the button, sounds perfect. No management lights on and no codes stored.
No signs of over heating, if anything it's running slightly cool, takes longer to warm up than normal, even with new thermostat.
Have given it a good boot full down motorway as well and thus far all good.
Casper01277

Postby jamesymc216 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi sorry about commenting on an old post but when u say had to convert to belt what do you mean and how to convert thanks.just I've got a focus 08 with a broke engine diesel and got an 03 focus tdci and it looks like I'm doing basically the same as what you done.did it pass smoke test and was there any problems or could you give some tips on what should be done thank you
jamesymc216

Return to Transit Connect