*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cv joint

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Cv joint

Postby Jordy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi everyone.
My 55 plate 1.8 connect had been making some noises from the nearside I've noticed especially when turning left. I took the wheel off and noticed the inner cv boot had completely split in half and exposed the joint. I would think that this had probably caused the joint to go.

I've done a few bits on the van but am but no means an expert but due to an awful lot of outgoings recently I was really hoping to attempt it myself.

I was planning to replace the whole shaft but I've read a few times elsewhere this can be a bit tricky. However I've also read you can make it much easier if you undo the clip on the inner rubber boot and pull the joint apart. So you leave the cup part of the joint in the gearbox and do the same on the new one and slide this in.

Is this a good idea and does it make the job much easier?
I know it's obviously reliant on the part you leave in being ok but would think the bearings are the likely part to have failed.

Thanks very much
Jordy

Re: Cv joint

Postby Boghopper » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Replacing the shaft in itself it simple if a bit of care is taken. The difficult part is removing the old one. This can be overcome by punching it out from the other side, after removing the offside shaft.

Stupid idea to split the inner joint and use half from the old and half from the new, especially as the gaitor was split in half. Replace the whole item.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jordy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks for your reply. If you take the whole part out am I right in thinking you will lose all your gearbox oil?
Jordy

Postby Piglet » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:54 pm

No the oil can stay put.
I would agree with Boghopper, remove O/S shaft and punch N/S out through the diff with a 6mm rod.
N/S has a retaining clip on the spline, O/S doesn't need it because it's held by the support bearing.
You can leave the O/S driveshaft nut on, just have to release bottom ball joint and support bearing.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect