*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Immobiliser code 23 - won't start

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Immobiliser code 23 - won't start

Postby geekshow » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi all,

Another newcomer to the world of Immobiliser Code 23 woes has arrived :-) Thankfully the missus doesn't need her work van next week so that gives me a few days to fix it...

I've read up all the posts about Immo code 23 I can find, and checked....

- General: 2004 SWB Connect with 150k, runs well (slow though) with no other issues. Wouldn't start this morning and no amount of waiting with ignition on, wiggling cables, hitting things has any effect.
- Keys: I have 2 keys (clones unfortunately), same result with both
- Transponder Receiver ring: connector, wiring looks good. Unplugging has no effect at all (should it?)
- Wiring: Wiring from the pump to the ECU seems good, I've checked the wiring at the connectors, under the intercooler and other places. When the pump is disconnected the immobiliser light doesn't flash (got me excited for about 1min), only flashes when it's reconnected. Connector at the pump and ECU ends all looks good.

So, thinking of starting with the cheap stuff first (transponder receiver ring), but I'm guessing this is most likely a pump / EDC issue. I'm an electronics engineer so would be comfortable repairing the EDC if there's any point.

How much work is it to remove the pump completely?
Can you change just the electronics on the pump easily?

All help much appreciated guys (and gals)
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Immobiliser code 23 - won't start

Postby geekshow » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Reading around it seems the pump electronics can be sent off and repaired. I suspect it could be a failure on the pump ECU (PSG) so probably worth replacing for a used one and getting it virginised (so it syncs with my engine ECU). Urgh....
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Buzzed out all the wires from PCM to the pump, sadly all good. Power getting to the pump & relay working. I've ordered a VCM cable and looking for a replacement pump ECU now...
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:10 pm

This is what the pump ECU main PCB looks like. Looks okay, so could be the main output transistors but I'm just not sure. Need the fault codes read first and I can't find my Bluetooth OBD2 dongle.... Ford VCM cable in the post anyway :-)
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Error codes form a lovely selection of things all pointing to the pump...

faultCode3=B2139 *immob PCM-PATS
faultCode2=B2139 *PCM not recognised by PATS
faultCode1=B1681 *PATS not recvd
faultCode15=U0105 *lost comm injector
faultCode13=P1664 *Inj pump malfunction
faultCode11=P1659 *Inj pump power circuit
faultCode9=P1564 *Inj pump request reduced fuelling
faultCode6=P0216 *Inj timing control circuit
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby geekshow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Okay, so the van is fixed!

It was indeed the fuel pump ECU at fault, replacing it sorted the issues completely. I was able to reset the immobiliser pairing using Forscan and a cheapo ELM327 clone adapter bought off eBay. Forscan actually generated the in codes automatically. Magic!! :D

During the scrabble for spare parts I also managed to get hold of a mk1 Focus TDDi PCM which brings a slight upgrade (+13bhp) in power to the sloowwww 75bhp T200 connect. Feels slightly quicker and nicer to drive generally, although I'm not sure how much of that is down to having a working fuel pump and I also sealed up the EGR blank properly ( was defo leaking).
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kenton » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Nice one for keeping the post updated mate, makes interesting reading! I have heard the capacitors on the fuel pump PCB can cause nightmares! Fair play to you for getting this issue sorted though and closure :)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby geekshow » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:26 pm

No probs at all! It's nice when you read posts that have a happy ending instead of a cliff hanger :mrgreen:
geekshow
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby axxeman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:09 am

Did you solely replace the pump ecu? If so, what was the cost/ time/ difficulty etc? I have FORScan but so far have only used it for injector coding. Great great software but little in the way of a manual :(

Thanks,

greg
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Anthony1971 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi plz can someone help me I've got code 23 I've replaced the ignition switch. The transceiver and yet it still wont start my friend came with his computer and he had to reinstate the immobiliser well it lasted 1 week and now I've got the same problem yet again is it possible to bypass the immobiliser or can some one help me plz
Anthony1971

Return to Transit Connect