*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

water reservoir draining

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

water reservoir draining

Postby davidh976 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:25 pm

I recently had cylinder head replaced/refurbed on my tdci lx connect( due to belt snap) ive also had the water pump changed and the thermostat ( needlessly ). when the van gets up to temp the engine is sucking nearly all the water from the bottle ..... this morning I took it for a spin ,,, and noticed a water leak ,,,, couldn't see where from ? I opened filler cap and water came back up .... I parked up for a few hours ,, took van out again ,,, no leak now but water sucked out of bottle ? ... when I open the filler cap water comes bubbling back into the water bottle . anyone got any ideas ??? the gauge is going up to half ,, then it might go up higher , then fan kicks it and goes back to half way .ive tried releasing any airlocks but as ive opened bottle a few times since ive had it back from the garage I assume its not that ?
davidh976

Re: water reservoir draining

Postby davidh976 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:39 pm

I’ve just been out in van...topped up water bottle .went for a few mile ..leaking from sumwhere ..bottle empty...water dripping onto road ...garage in the morning !!!!!! Again :-0
davidh976

Re: water reservoir draining

Postby John235 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:54 pm

I was having a similar problem, which I think is now cleared. There is a metal pipe that runs from near the thermostat housing, round to back of engine. Mine had a pin-hole behind the engine and caused an intermittent leak.
Apart from that, the thermostat housing is only made of plastic, and is a common failing. The integral seals are not up to much. I have fabricated and fitted a rubber gasket where it mates to the block.
John235
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect