*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2004 Transit Connect TDCi smoke on start up and limp

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2004 Transit Connect TDCi smoke on start up and limp

Postby _matt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Ok so when i first start my van i get a lot of grey smoke and it drives a bit lumpy for about a minute then the smoke goes away and it drives normally.

The smoke is coming out of the exhaust and out of the flex part below the engine also

Secondly sometimes (usually accelerating to or at 50/60mph) i get the yellow coil light and the power cuts, i can just turn off and back on the engine and it works again but with reduced power (wont rev past 3k ish).

are these two issues linked? I CANT read any codes as i have tried 4 different code readers in the obd port (physical reader, direct to laptop, direct to tablet and bluetooth) and nothing can connect.

What should i start replacing to remedy this? Full oil and oil filter, air filter change all done recently.

I have the fuel filter to do this weekend.

Glow plugs are pretty cheap so i was thinking of doing these next
_matt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2004 Transit Connect TDCi smoke on start up and limp

Postby Kenton » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm

If it's anything like mine, then the glow plugs will be shot. I don't think this is your problem here though. It would most likly be the injectors. I changed my glow plugs about 2 years ago when we found none of them worked, and made no difference to the symptoms i was having - which were the same as yours. The problems with cutting out only happened way after the Smokey starts and lumpy cold running had been occurring for a long time, possibly a couple of years! I have recently replaced my injectors with refurbished ones, and it has cured every single symptom. This by no means is your DEFINITIVE problem, so also consider getting your ECU codes read by someone who has a COMPATIBLE scanner and post them back here so the experts can cast their eye over them. All the best pal.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby _matt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Ok so changed fuel filter and no difference!

Injectors then, do these need to be coded? This would be an issue as the OBD port doesnt work
_matt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby axxeman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:39 am

_matt wrote:Ok so changed fuel filter and no difference!

Injectors then, do these need to be coded? This would be an issue as the OBD port doesnt work

OBD port will need fixing first as injectors are coded on this year - and you can't read the stored fault codes with it not working, either.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect