*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

slight tapping after injector change

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

slight tapping after injector change

Postby Kenton » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 am

Hi guys, quick one. After my recent injector change (delphi re-furbs) i now have a slight 'tap' at around 2k ish revs. We did loose one new copper gasket from cylinder 1 when changing which caused ever such a slight leak, and used one of the better old ones. I thought this may have caused the problem, but have changed that for a new one now and the noise is still there - even when warm. The engine runs so much better since the injector change, and all the previous rough running and other annoyances have gone, but it has a tap, and feels ever so slightly under powered now. We successfully coded the re-con injectors, so i doubt this is the issue. Starts on the button and has perfect tick over and drives really nicely. Just slightly annoyed at the tap and slight lack of power. Any ideas peeps??

Cheers,
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: slight tapping after injector change

Postby Altransit » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:37 am

Loot had a "tappy" injector on his Custom, which he ended up changing himself as the Ford garage couldn't diagnose it :roll:
It's possible that one of the new ones is faulty :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Kenton » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Many thanks for that Al. I was fearing that MAY be the issue!... I will attempt to speak with Loot. I really hope it is an easier fix, as this will cost yet more time to get right. I will get it in the garage and see if we can identify the suspect cylinder with a stethoscope first. If there is an easier method anyone knows of - apart from a leak test - i would be obliged if they could tell me!

Cheers again.
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi my custom uses the siemens system so may or may not be the same, I bought my van which had an annoying ticking noise, Ford couldn't fix it but said they did. :roll:

I replaced the injector and instantly gone, been smooth as you would expect since. I programmed the correction factors in and cleared the learned values (euro 5)

Yours is the connect yes? So I'm not familiar with the delphi setup.
All I can suggest is a proper check of the injectors and any programming procedures be done and fully as required. :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Kenton » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 pm

loot wrote:Hi my custom uses the siemens system so may or may not be the same, I bought my van which had an annoying ticking noise, Ford couldn't fix it but said they did. :roll:

I replaced the injector and instantly gone, been smooth as you would expect since. I programmed the correction factors in and cleared the learned values (euro 5)

Yours is the connect yes? So I'm not familiar with the delphi setup.
All I can suggest is a proper check of the injectors and any programming procedures be done and fully as required. :-)

Cheers for responding Loot, yes, Connect TDCi 90 on Delphi's. I will crack out the stethoscope and see if i can identify the offending cylinder first. Then, if we have time i will see if we can re-code the injectors again... It is odd, as even with the knackered originals giving me grief, there was never any tapping. If the re-coding fails to solve it, i will send the suspect one back and get another. Just as a last point, there was quite a lot of ticking when we first started the engine after the replacement, but that died down, but i am still left with a noticeable tick, under load @ around 2k revs. We thought it may be a slight air lock, but it should have gone by now i would have thought. So it's looking more like a faulty injector essentially...

Cheers,
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Sounds similar to mine, mine drove the same but just the ticking, I thought I was going nad especially as the Ford technician said" yes I've done the pump learn and it is much better, give it 600 miles to bed in" I've never wanted to say "you've done fook all mate" more to someone in my life!

Anyway, my injectors had only done 4800 miles from new, I know that the fuel filter plastic housing was smashed and fuel gushed out when the ignition switched on, but that could have been the fork truck loading the van for transport. It was salvage repairable see.

The injector could have received a particle of plastic or something causing it to fail to operate fully, or simply just have been a Friday production jobby :shock:

The above probably isn't relevant to your problem but what you've decided to do seems best.:-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Kenton » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks Loot. I will keep the post updated with what we find! It's a pain because i thought i was finally out of the woods with the problems i was having. Although i have solved the rough running issues, this is another set back i just don't need.
Cheers again pal.
K.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted