*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Van just stopped and no codes stored?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Van just stopped and no codes stored?

Postby axxeman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Hey guys - more hassle. Van died without warning at roundabout Sat eve. Would not restart (crank but no fire). No warning lights. Called recovery and got towed home. Guy fitted a new crank sensor as suspected it might be the problem and I just happened to have bought one recently. Van starts second go and he leaves. I go for a test drive and get blue lighted by the filth 2 miles from home. After playing their stupid roadside games, get back in the ban and it won't start AGAIN. 2 hour wait and get towed AGAIN.

Recharged battery as it was pretty tired from hazards and cranking etc and refitted it today. Still no start and plugged in FORscan to find no stored codes apart from ABS osf that has been there for ever.

All ideas welcome. Pretty please.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Van just stopped and no codes stored?

Postby axxeman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:14 am

Pump - ugh.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Definitely pump?
Tdci?
What year?
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxeman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 am

Piglet wrote:Definitely pump?
Tdci?
What year?

Yeah, fuel going in but ain't coming out under cranking and live data when cranking shows pressure way below what the system needs to be. If it is the original Delphi pump than it has done 195000+ which is probably very good given the pump failures on earlier Connects were a "known fault" I got a recon from P F Jones for £300 (£60 surcharge) and the local boys towed me to theirs and fitted it. £225 labour. Got it back yesterday - and the exhaust is blowing. Never ends.

It all makes sense now with the van hesitating/missing at low revs, after high speed runs, when asked to re-accelerate. Momentary drop in fuel pressure causing partial starvation. I did suspect this a while back but there was no metal in the fuel filter when I changed it a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I'll give it a run today to make sure that all is well.

New engine (breaker), new injectors (recon), new pump (recon), new exhaust (coming) and new intercooler (breaker). And he says as I leave, "Those tyres are getting close!). Jesus, give me a break!

Oh, 2004 1.8 TDCi 90ps
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Piglet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Hopefully it'll be good for a while now.
I guess this is the gamble associated with getting a vehicle through it's 2nd 100,000 miles, and why probably most don't even try, they trade at 100,000.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxeman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Piglet wrote:Hopefully it'll be good for a while now.
I guess this is the gamble associated with getting a vehicle through it's 2nd 100,000 miles, and why probably most don't even try, they trade at 100,000.

That's a very good point you make Piggy.

I took it out last night and the b*stard cut out twice in 35 miles. getting home was a pain with cutting out above 55 mph. Got the tank off and cleaning crap out of it as the take up pipe looks a bit blocked. I wish I had scrapped it when it dropped the engine in Feb. Expensive lesson.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect