*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2005 TDDi cold start / reving issues

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2005 TDDi cold start / reving issues

Postby NeilT » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:48 am

Hi Guys,

Not been on here much, but need some advice. I'll try and give as much info as posible to help.

I got my 2005 TDDi 75 about a year ago, and generally its been pretty good. Its done 131k miles. Once running it idles smooth, no nasty noises, and no flat spots.
Its just had an MOT, and I witnessed on warm start up and smoke test there was no smoke at all. It does however use more diesel than I would expect, but maybe this is common on the older TDDi units?

I know the TDDi models arent known for their performnace, and this is no excepton, what little boost it has only comes in at nearly 2000rpm, but it will cruise on the fat at a GPS 85mph (Its a LWB hi top).

The problem;
It can take quite a bit of cranking when starting, even if its 20+ degrees outside. Once started (and at idle), if you bplip the throttle it barely registers. If you hold the throttle down it takes ages to pick up.
Once its ben running for 30 seconds or so its generally better, but it can catch you out just as you are about to join a roundabout, and stall. It can then sometimes be a pig to restart.
Even when it struggles to start theres not loads of black smoke, just a gentle haze of grey/light smoke.
Edit: I should add that generally when cranking to start it will sometime try to start but immediately stops if I release the key.

Last winter I replaced the glow plugs, which helped a bit, but the issue is getting worse again. Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, oil and oil filter but this has made little differnence. Strangley the oil seems over filled so I do wonder if the sump had a mix of oil and diesel due to a leaky injector?

If it was a general power issue I wouldnt expect it to be able to cruise so well, just seems that starting and reving off boost is an issue.

Before I bought the van it had a load of new parts, and I know it had something replaced on the fuel pump as it failed its MOT for a fuel leak (Lift pump maybe?). I know I have at times smelt diesel (not exhaust but actual diesel) if its been reved high, but assumed I had imagined at as never seen any trace of leaking diesel.
Neil

2004 Connect TDdi 75 LWB
2016 BMW 330d M Sport
2017 BMW 218i M Sport Gran Tourer
1997 Nissan Primera GT
2003 MG ZT 260 V8
1990 LHD Rover Montego
NeilT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2005 TDDi cold start / reving issues

Postby NeilT » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Just been out to start it for first time today. 12 degrees outside, but sunny.

After waiting for glow plug light to go out it cranked over a few times then started. I them pressed the accelerator... nothing. Floored it it. nothing.
5 seconds later it reacted and was as normal.

Are these drive-by-wire? Could it be a throttle issue?
Neil

2004 Connect TDdi 75 LWB
2016 BMW 330d M Sport
1997 Nissan Primera GT
2003 MG ZT 260 V8
1990 LHD Rover Montego
NeilT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2005 TDDi cold start / reving issues

Postby NeilT » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi All,

This has now turned into a hot start issue too. Infact it starts better when cold, but when hot it cranks and cranks until I eventually have to press the accelerator to the floor and then it starts.
Neil

2004 Connect TDdi 75 LWB
2016 BMW 330d M Sport
1997 Nissan Primera GT
2003 MG ZT 260 V8
1990 LHD Rover Montego
NeilT
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect