*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

running issue

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

running issue

Postby bikermikey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:05 am

hello all. hope your connects are well, mine isn't :-)

so my van was running fine. i thought i would use some cataclean (why not- i dont do long trips as often as i should). all was going well. then one day, i'm going along the motorway and the power drops off. wouldn't rev above 2.5k and couldn't do more than 65mph.

took it to the mechanic. he had a look over, mentioned a sensor and valve he would have a look at. as well as plugging it in to the computer. left it with him.

next day. no joy. "think its the turbo". went round there. he was explaining there should be some pressure in the hoses from intercooler to engine and there was none. in fact the hose did the opposite. when revved it sort of "sucked inward". very weird. "it shouldn't do that" which i had assumed lol.

also... there is a small hose on the turbo (looks like a little vacuum hose to me but i don't know) that you can see when you stand in front of the van and look down through a gap at the turbo. the mechanic took it off, revved it & oil came spurting out. he said it shouldn't do that.

sorry long story guys but want to give the full picture.

so i'm driving round (working - runs fine below 2k) waiting for my mechanic to ring and say he has a turbo for me. today, all of a sudden the van was a little more keen to rev. still not right but better. it would rev to a little over 3k and i went for a quick nip up the motorway this evening and it had definitely improved. it would go along at 75 alright. but like i said, still not as it should be.

vans done 140k
had a service with ford in march (before i bought it)
i have fitted a new fuel filter & air filter (long before this problem)
also put on those blue intercooler hoses as the originals were split
thats it

one more thing!! when i bought the van , we found what i now know is a turbo core cartridge rolling round in the back of the van.......

any thoughts anyone?
thanks so much for any input
best regards
bikermikey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: running issue

Postby Piglet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:54 pm

You don't give age/engine type of your van.
My 08 1.8 Tdci turbo has oil supply & return pipes on the bottom of the turbo. not really visible from the top though.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bikermikey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 pm

quite right. its an 07 1.8 tdci 75 T200

thanks
bikermikey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bikermikey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:37 pm

i will take a photo
bikermikey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bikermikey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 pm

oh. the site says

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached

:-(
bikermikey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bikermikey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 pm

if you stand just to the right, sort of in front of the airbox. then look through just below the airflow sensor, its that hose im referring to

many thanks
bikermikey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect