*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Tried to Remote Start, audible 'pop', no start, no crank

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Tried to Remote Start, audible 'pop', no start, no crank

Postby canadiantransit » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:42 am

I was away and the van was sitting parked for 7 days over fluctuating weather conditions including, snow and ice, -8, to rain and slush at 6 above.

Returned from my travels to snow and the below zero temperature. Used my remote starter to get the vehicle warm before driving as I will usually do. I was outside when doing this because I was also going to do some shoveling. I heard a 'pop' and the remote starter light indicated red blinking for failed start. The vehicle had full power, the locks worked, the fan was running, the SYNC display was up. I put the key in and tried to start the engine, no crank was heard, and the SYNC system read "auto shutdown to conserve battery power".

I thought the issue might have been battery. Requested a boost through local tow company. Boost did not produce results other than clicking and pump noises still no crank.

After attempting boost, there was an apparent electrical malfunction as the 'dings' lights, fan wavered and cut out while attempting to start the vehicle.

Locked and unlocked the vehicle. Put transmission into neutral, attempted to boost - this time "Service Engine now" notification and warning light.

Towed to dealership. They report a failed PCM and will replace that under warranty - could not explain specifically why the PCM failed.

My theory - environmental damage to starter solenoid or wiring caused short, fuse blew upon attempted start, the attempted boost damaged the PCM or water directly damaged the PCM.

Any other theories? If the issue was environmental, I would like to take measures to prevent any further electrical issues caused by temperature changes or water.

Context: vehicle consistently experiences four seasons in Canada, 2015 model, 70,000 kms, engine light issue recently addressed for wiring fault between PCM and solenoid for fuel pump.
canadiantransit

Return to Transit Connect