*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Heater plugs.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Heater plugs.

Postby barrymanifold » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Just curious about how often people get the heater/glow plugs changed.Is there a mileage type thingy for it,or is it
just when your motor refuses to start,bearing in mind the shitty weather we're having at present.Changed mine last week,
as it was a bit lumpy on start up,and chucked a bit smoke out,while it warmed up.My mates van refused to start,the other morning,
so he lost a days wages! I changed his,and now it starts first time.I suppose it's a good idea,to change them if there's very cold
weather forecast,and you have a van,that hasn't had them replaced during your ownership...bit like a timing belt.
barrymanifold
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Heater plugs.

Postby Piglet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Years ago I had a Renault 5 1.6D , good car but a terrible starter. I removed & tested all the plugs by holding them against the block like a spark plug and watching them all get to red heat.
It still wouldn't do cold mornings.
Out of desperation I bought a new set and it started on the button.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dixieds » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:00 pm

just changed mine £14 on ebay now my van starts first time in the cold it didnt before :D
dixieds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby g-man » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:11 am

good idea to change them every couple of years for what it costs and the hassle they can give you, once they get a build up of carbon they can be a mare to get out
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Connect