*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

lower ball joint

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

lower ball joint

Postby cdel2005 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:56 pm

hi guys
does the hub/hub nut need to come off when changing a lower ball joint? or do i just take brake caliper off and use force to split joint
also new ball joint comes with a plastic washer does this go on transit connect or is it for other vehicles
cdel2005
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: lower ball joint

Postby ABA » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:12 pm

ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cdel2005 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:52 pm

As anyone used the cheaper ball joint presses with their connect or simlair
And does the freezing actually work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Ball-J ... Sw5E9aqP6u

Cheers
cdel2005
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby stugordon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:33 am

I've just replaced both my ball joints & unless you have the proper tool I think you will need to take the drive shaft out c
I ended up taking the hub/ knuckle off & clamping it tightly in the vice & knocking the ball joint out with a big hammer & ling 1/2" drive extension bar. Once you get it moving it comes out easy enough I found. I cleaned up the hole with some emery cloth, lubricate the new ball joints & knock them in. They went in easy enough thankfully.
I found I couldn't use a hydraulic press to get the old one out as there was no way of getting on the ball joint straight enough to push it out.
The kits that work using cups & a "G" clamp to push it out won't work as there isn't enough room for it the way the ball joint is positioned.
I assume the ford tool is similar to the clamp style kits but made to fit in the hub unlike the universal kits that are available
stugordon
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect