*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Aerosol Cleaning EGR Valve Help Please ...

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Aerosol Cleaning EGR Valve Help Please ...

Postby axxeman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:42 pm

Connect 1.8 TDCi 90PS 2004 plate

Started chucking our a lot of black smoke under boost acceleration so thinking that EGR might need a good clean as first remedy. I bought some aerosol EGR cleaner but I don't know precisely how to use them. The instructions are a bit vague so:

Where do I spray it (and what do I need to decouple)?
How effective is this form of cleaning?
Are there any videos that might be of assistance (although someone on here who has actually done it might be better)?

Thanks,

Greg
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Aerosol Cleaning EGR Valve Help Please ...

Postby g-man » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 pm

only way to clean it is to take both manifolds off, and soak the inlet for a few hours, then give it a good scrub and clean out again, when back together you could try some wynns but probably not worth it
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby axxeman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 pm

g-man wrote:only way to clean it is to take both manifolds off, and soak the inlet for a few hours, then give it a good scrub and clean out again, when back together you could try some wynns but probably not worth it

Ah, bummer, I might have to remove the turbo too and give that a once over ... thanks for the help.

Greg
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxeman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:36 pm

UPDATE.

Found two large splits in the hose (1133898) that goes from post air-sensor to turbo. Didn't clean EGR, mech. just blanked it off. Turbo checked out fine. New hose from Evilbay for £17 delivered, ( 5 year warranty, LOL). Let's hope back to normal acceleration and less soot!

Greg
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect