*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Anyone managed to program keys with FORScan successfully?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Anyone managed to program keys with FORScan successfully?

Postby axxeman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 am

When I got my van a few years ago, the vendor only had one key. He also had no T code to get another one cut. I put up with this and guarded the "one key" with more care and affection than the missus. Last year I installed FORScan when I needed to program some new injectors and I saw that, with the extended licence, you could program extra keys. So yesterday, having got two new blanks cut on eBay from just good clear digital photos, and obtained two transponder chips from there as well, off I went to the driveway ...

Getting the extended licence was easy enough - 2 months free trial. The new keys operated the ignition lock etc so I knew they were cut properly. I fired up the laptop and within 20 minutes I was in possession of three keys that all started the engine. Happy days! Or so I thought ...

They start the van OK but neither of them will open the doors when they have been locked. They will LOCK the doors OK but don't appear to "talk" to the central locking ... I tried their forum but not a lot of help came back, so I am wondering what I have done wrong. Here's a brief resumé:

I had one Master key (original)
The PATS module showed 2 stored keys
I didn't delete them - just programmed the two I bought
PATS now shows 4 stored keys.

I am wondering if I should have cleared the two stored keys first BUT was worried that I might end up with NO keys and a locksmith bill that I am obviously trying to avoid. I suppose that I could just use the new keys for ignition, bonnet, and fuel cap, and lock/unlock the doors with the old (worn) key and the fob but I would prefer it if they all did what it says on the tin ...

Anybody know? 2004 TC 1.8 TDCi 90ps

Greg
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Anyone managed to program keys with FORScan successfully

Postby loot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:16 pm

The mechanical switching is done by the door lock and doesn't require the key to be coded other than it passing pats security. The fact that it runs the engine means that it is correctly programmed.
I assume you just have standard black key with no remote part, is the 2004 connect the same as the mk6 transit where you have the black key and a separate black square fob?
But regardless that gives remote central locking. Are you saying that you have the old black key with chip and that will open all the doors when turned in the drivers door and then the new key that will I assume only open the drivers door on its own?

But they all run the engine?

:shock:
Paul2012 will know but it sounds a bit strange to me. :?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby axxeman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:09 pm

loot wrote:The mechanical switching is done by the door lock and doesn't require the key to be coded other than it passing pats security. The fact that it runs the engine means that it is correctly programmed.
I assume you just have standard black key with no remote part, is the 2004 connect the same as the mk6 transit where you have the black key and a separate black square fob?
But regardless that gives remote central locking. Are you saying that you have the old black key with chip and that will open all the doors when turned in the drivers door and then the new key that will I assume only open the drivers door on its own?

But they all run the engine?

:shock:
Paul2012 will know but it sounds a bit strange to me. :?

1. Standard black key with blue chip and no fob buttons, yes.
2. Separate three button fob, yes.
3. Old black key works fine but getting very worn now.
4. All keys, both old and new, start van fine.
5. New keys will not unlock any doors (3) BUT will lock all doors.

I did not understand that the central locking wasn't part of PATS and rather a mechanical thing. Upon measuring the new keys, across the blades, they are "fatter" than the old key by a factor of twenty thou. (0.020"). I wonder if they are "jamming" when I try to turn them the last 15 degrees anti-clock. Perhaps if I dress the edges with a fine Swiss file, they might start to work? (Few light strokes - then try it. Rinse and repeat).
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby liteace » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm

axxeman wrote:

Getting the extended licence was easy enough - 2 months free trial. The new keys operated the ignition lock etc so I knew they were cut properly. I fired up the laptop and within 20 minutes I was in possession of three keys that all started the engine. Happy days! Or so I thought ...

They start the van OK but neither of them will open the doors when they have been locked. They will LOCK the doors OK but don't appear to "talk" to the central locking ...

You on about the remote fob locking the doors or putting the key in the lock and turning it? if putting key in lock then the key has not been cut properly as ANY Ford tibbe key will LOCK any other Ford with tibble locks but not unlock
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Ah the plot thickens :P

Yes all keys will lock the door but only the correctly cut 1 will open it, in which case as liteace says and assuming that is what you meant the key won't unlock the door lock then that means the key isn't cut correctly, as said it is mechanical in that respect.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby axxeman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:58 pm

loot wrote:Ah the plot thickens :P

Yes all keys will lock the door but only the correctly cut 1 will open it, in which case as liteace says and assuming that is what you meant the key won't unlock the door lock then that means the key isn't cut correctly, as said it is mechanical in that respect.

Here's what I received from the locksmiths after I sent them digital photos if their keys and my Ford key side by side in three views: left top and right ...

"This type of Ford lock is driven in the clockwise or anti-clockwise direction by the No. 4 disc(s) in the lock. There is always at least one in a lock. Your lock happens to have three. The pictures show that your original key has wear on each No. 4 cut. This means that the No. 4 discs within the lock are worn and that over time the original key has had to work harder to rotate the lock resulting in the wear on the key.

A new key has no wear. So it requires this to turn the lock. Put the key into the driver's door, grip it with both hands and turn it sharply in each direction. Repeat this on the passenger's side. This will result in a small mark on the key in the No. 4 locations. It has to be done on both locks as one turns clockwise to lock and the other one turns anti-clockwise to lock. This should resolve the problem. The keys should work."

Well, I followed this advice and they have indeed started working. My idea of filing a little off of the edges was not far off the mark, it seems. So, TWO new all-singing, all-dancing keys for less than £30. Take that Ford's, ya b*stards.

Many thanks for the help, as always.

Greg

p.s. I should have realised that new key + 15 year old locks = trouble :(
p.p.s. FORScan is a brilliant piece of kit. Hats off to the developers.
axxeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect