*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Connect 1.0 Ecoboost

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Transit Connect 1.0 Ecoboost

Postby rich17865 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi all, I have a late 2017 registered 1.0 Ecoboost Connect LWB

Long story short, when built it had factory fitted winter tyres. They are Good Year's. I have now done 7000ish miles and the front tyres are looking shredded, lumps missing, like I have been wheel spinning everywhere. My boy racer days are long gone, it's my van so I have to pay for fuel and tyres, so I drive sensibly to say the least.

All my driving is local as I am a plumber, there is hardly ever any dual carriageway, and no motorway. The van is always loaded and is 1980kg according to the weighbridge at the local scrap place.

Are these tyres falling to bits because of the heavy rear end and no weight on the front because of the petrol engine, combined with the ultra hard winter tyres causing wheel spin that I am not noticing? I don't do racing starts and I used Michelin all weather tyres on my previous vans, so have no experience of winter tyres. The rears look fine.

Interested to hear from anyone else with a petrol Connect, plus anyone who wants to throw in some related abuse of course.
rich17865
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit Connect 1.0 Ecoboost

Postby Altransit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:37 pm

You shouldn't really be running Winter tyres during anything other than Winter, most people using Winter tyres would have another set of tyres to swap over at the appropriate time.

Your Winters may be breaking up due to overheating perhaps :?: :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby rich17865 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:40 pm

The tyres were fitted at build, it was a Ford UK demonstrator that was given to British Gas for a month to see how they liked it, it has some strange options, I am probably going to scrap the tyres and get some all weather ones.
rich17865
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:45 pm

In my opinion, you're wasting your time with all weathers, they're a compromise, and not very good doing either job. I would get a set of premium quality van tyres such as Michelin Agilis, and just take a bit more care on the snow and ice in Winter :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby rich17865 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Altransit wrote:In my opinion, you're wasting your time with all weathers, they're a compromise, and not very good doing either job. I would get a set of premium quality van tyres such as Michelin Agilis, and just take a bit more care on the snow and ice in Winter :)

Probably the way I will end up going, always had Michelin Agilis on my last van, I would get 18k out of them before replacing them at 3mm, they were great value

Seems I'll have Michelin Primacy at this size though.
rich17865
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Do you tend to spin the front wheels when taking off :?: or brake heavily :?:
I would be expecting a lot more than 15k from a set of front Michelins, I had 35k from the fronts on my Mk6, and the new replacements were transferred to my Mk7 when I bought it, and have now done 25k on there :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby rich17865 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Altransit wrote:Do you tend to spin the front wheels when taking off :?: or brake heavily :?:
I would be expecting a lot more than 15k from a set of front Michelins, I had 35k from the fronts on my Mk6, and the new replacements were transferred to my Mk7 when I bought it, and have now done 25k on there :)

I only do local town driving around 5 miles per trip with around 1-3 hours in between journeys, so it is just accelerate, brake, turn, and repeat driving all the time. It absolutely murdered the Mk7 I used to have, it was having parts all the time. It was part of the reason I went for a petrol this time instead of a diesel, it'll be nice to have heaters in the winter for a change and perhaps a fuel consumption figure above 18mpg. :shock:

Plus I am confusing summer and all weather, I mean summer tyres as a replacement.
rich17865
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:50 pm

rich17865 wrote:
Altransit wrote:Do you tend to spin the front wheels when taking off :?: or brake heavily :?:

I only do local town driving around 5 miles per trip with around 1-3 hours in between journeys, so it is just accelerate, brake, turn, and repeat driving all the time. It absolutely murdered the Mk7 I used to have, it was having parts all the time. It was part of the reason I went for a petrol this time instead of a diesel, it'll be nice to have heaters in the winter for a change and perhaps a fuel consumption figure above 18mpg. :shock:

Plus I am confusing summer and all weather, I mean summer tyres as a replacement.

Apart from the tyres do you like it ? i had one on demo and loved it really regret buying another Vito :(
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby rich17865 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:12 pm

V184 wrote:
rich17865 wrote:

Apart from the tyres do you like it ? i had one on demo and loved it really regret buying another Vito :(

I bought a petrol van on the recommendation of my mechanic, because of the constant repairs I had to do to my old MK7, he said I would be better off with a petrol. Arguably he is right, no DPF, no injector problems, oil changes are nice and clean, I am getting 35mpg with the sort of driving I do that's amazing. I haven't got to wait forever for it to warm up, it's quiet and it drives really nicely because there isn't a heavy diesel lump in front. It has loads of torque at low revs, so drives a bit like a diesel, plus petrol is cheaper than diesel.

As an added bonus, as it was an ex Ford UK demonstrator, there is loads of extras and options that I would never have chosen, and it was half list price at just under a year old and 3000 miles.

It was a bit of a squeeze getting everything I need into it, but I have been clever with racking and I have got nearly everything in I used to get in my old van with weight capacity spare (just, it's a 210). There isn't much room to get materials in, but I just get the merchant to deliver anything that I cannot fit in, which they don't charge me for. The only downside is that it has the optional single passenger seat, so I lose the 3 metre load through facility that the standard seat offers, a bit of a nuisance I have to cut pipes down to get them in, but again, in any quantity the merchant will deliver them to me anyway.

It's comfortable, quiet and a pleasant place to be, only real complaint is that it is underpowered, I'll get it remapped when I finally get round to it, that'll take it from 99bhp to 150ish, I kept my last van for 7 years, I see no reason why I wouldn't keep this one longer.

I had a Vito a long time ago, never again. :roll:
rich17865
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Just found a pic on my phone, the one i had averaged 43mpg but that was taking it easy 8)
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby rich17865 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:15 pm

V184 wrote:Just found a pic on my phone, the one i had averaged 43mpg but that was taking it easy 8)

I only do local town driving, no dual carriageway and no motorway, pretty much. And I can only take it easy :D It's proper slow. :lol:
rich17865
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby lightning » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Well, the 1.0 Ecoboost delivers 125bhp when fitted to the C-Max so should easily cope with some extra power over the 99bhp yours is factory tuned to deliver.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Connect