*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Which Clifford alarm for 2013 Mk1 facelift?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Which Clifford alarm for 2013 Mk1 facelift?

Postby ukEvans » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:08 am

An independent authorised Clifford alarm fitter was recommended to me. He's done a few good jobs on various Transits and all comments have been positive. I booked him to fit the "top of the range" Clifford alarm to my 2013 Mk1 Facelift Connect.

I was also going to get a Clifford Concept 650 fitted to my 2008 Connect, which as I understood it was also the correct/best one for my 2013.

The fitter told me on the phone that as my 2013 is CANBUS, it's a different, but equally as good, Clifford alarm that goes with my van and is an add-on/upgrade to factory fitted system. It uses the original key fob once fitted etc.

The fitter turned-up on the day as booked and basically, he tapped the alarm into the OBD wires by way of a test fit, prior to stripping out trim panels etc etc. The alarm did not work; it had power but did not respond at all like it should've. He then tested two more of the same alarms he had with him and the result was the same.

The fitter then ended up on the phone for ages to Clifford Approved Installers Technical Support, the end result being that it couldn't be done.

I didn't get a clear understanding of the issues but build date, CANBUS differences, changeover dates, incompatible software, were all mentioned. It was left that Clifford will be looking at the alarm software from their end but they clearly feel that they are dealing with an issue of Ford's making, as in, changing certain things mid-build date (as an aside, my tow bar fitter also says that he sees the same with Ford vehicles). I've been told that it will likely take them months to work out the issue and then update their systems. It kinda felt that I was being dissuaded from having the Clifford fitted to my 2013; he's happy to go ahead and do the 2008 though.

So my question to the forum is, has anyone got a Clifford alarm fitted to their 2013 Mk1? If so, which one, who fitted it, any issues? (I'm sure I've seen mention of the same year of van with a Clifford fitted).

Was there such a thing built as a 2013 that wasn't CANBUS? From what year were the Connect CANBUS? Is my 2013 even CANBUS?? How can I tell?

And finally, if Clifford isn't going to be the way forward, what's the next best rated alarm suitable for the Connect?

*Thanks for reading this far. A lot of info, a lot confusion, a lot of questions! :?
2013 Connect Trend Mk1 Facelift 90bhp T230 High Roof, LWB (a blank canvass)
2014 Transit Trend Mk8, L2H2 RWD 350, 155bhp (now traded for the above)
2008 Connect Mk1 75bhp, EGR Delete, remapped to 100bhp (still in the family)
ukEvans
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect