*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect 2008 1.8 TDCI - 5th and Reverse Gear Issue

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Connect 2008 1.8 TDCI - 5th and Reverse Gear Issue

Postby JPTRANSITCON08 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi,
Recently my Van has developed an issue with getting into 5th and reverse. All other gears are perfect. I can select 5th by pushing into the rhs of the box, pulling back slightly (between 5th and reverse) and then shifting forward. Likewise, with getting into reverse, but it is much more prevalent with totally loosing the gear. I have also tried lifting off the clutch and then trying to shift in - no difference here. These are obviously early symptoms of a transmission issue, but the frustration at the moment is with the unpredictability.

I've looked through a couple of threads on here that suggest the gear selector bearing and seal likely need replacing, but I cannot seem to source any for the van. I've also read that someone on this forum had a similar problem to me. They mentioned that there is a pin that should be attached to the gear cable end at the gear selector box. I read that they diagnosed that the pin had come off, replaced it, and the problem was solved. Not quite sure what this pin is, so I would highly appreciate some advice.

My questions are:

1) Does anybody know where to source the bearing and selector seal for a 2008 1.8 TDCI?
2) Will the kit for a Transit 2.2 TDCI (2008) fit? [url]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-VTX75-Gearbox-Selector-Bearing-Seal-Overhaul-Repair-Kit-MK6-7-FWD-/253885004399
[/url]
3) Could someone explain how this pin would affect reverse and 5th gear?
4) Do you have any alterative suggestion to what a solution could be?

Thanks,
Jonny
JPTRANSITCON08

Re: Connect 2008 1.8 TDCI - 5th and Reverse Gear Issue

Postby taz666 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 pm

As long as its a 5 speed selector turret then yes the bearing and seal will be the same , as for the roll pin its inside the box on the turret shift and holds the selector plate
taz666
Ford Technician

Return to Transit Connect