*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help with DTC Codes

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Help with DTC Codes

Postby sparkybandit » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:49 pm

Hello, I purchased a 2nd hand Connect nine month ago and it has been running fine , now after laying it up for four weeks while waiting for a rear caliper and regularly starting her up just to idle her and keep battery charged I noticed the EML came on on. I have used Forscan and a 'BBfly' OBDII connector to read off the codes.

Can anyone advise me if i need to be concerned or are these issues common and will clear once I drive her in anger once again? or are they worthy of investigating now she's off road?I have a seized rear caliper so have a refurbed one to fit then i'll put it in for mot.I'm gonna drive her up a few hills and get her hot before test and also have some Redex pre mot to go in her.

Van is a 2007 1.8 with 145,000m - i changed the oil and filter along with the transmission oil about 500 mile ago.

I Just wanted to add a bit more infomation without clouding the issues to much ; Going back to when I bought it, I checked it with my basic code reader and it flagged up a issue with the EGR valve even back then but the seller was honest old boy and i had no reason to think it was a problem van. I figured it was because he'd not started it for a couple of months (as he'd bought another larger van) and my limited knowledge was that egr valve gets gummed up if not being driven enough. It also does have to have the key twisted on for some time to get her started sometimes particularly if i haven't started it for a few days,she starts first time but you have to keep the starter motor going for a bit longer than i would think is normal to get her to fire. I had the battery checked at my local halfords and they said it was fine but they said it needed some good long runs. I use a AA solar powered charger on the dash connected to the OBD port when she's parked so some volts get into the battery.

Another problem - It happened to me a while back on the motorway,i was accelerating hard and fast overtaking and then cog light came on and it felt like a loss of power so i pulled over into hard shoulder and turned he engine on and off again. It didn't seem like she had gone into any limp mode just a loss of power so I spoke to AA man he said there was a common problem on the 2007 model where a split in a hose to the turbo could cause this issue. Anyway I was driving her hard up a hill the other day and i thought i'd see if i can repeat the problem so the 'Cog' light came on, took my foot off the accelerator for a second and then the cog light went off, tried it again,hard acceleration up hill produces this Cog light. Seem anytime i put her under real load the cog lisght will flash.

Anyway,I cleared the engine codes a week ago and so these these codes are all from a van which has just been started and left to idle for 20 min every other day.

===PCM DTC P0380-68===
Code: P0380 - Glowplug control circuit

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Invalid Signal

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Glow Plug Circuit

Short circuit

Open circuit.

This DTC may be caused by :

Possible causes are:

Relay control circuit

Glow plug relay

Malfunctioning EDCM

===END PCM DTC P0380-68===

===PCM DTC P0490-E1===
Code: P0490 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal is Above Maximum Threshold

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High

This DTC is set when the following condition occurs.

The EGRV position sensor value is consistently higher than the desired set value.

EGR valve short circuit to battery positive.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

For further diagnostic information refer to the appropriate section of eTIS.

===END PCM DTC P0490-E1===

===OBDII DTC P0490-C===
Code: P0490 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High

- Confirmed - malfunction is confirmed

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High

This DTC is set when the following condition occurs.

The EGRV position sensor value is consistently higher than the desired set value.

EGR valve short circuit to battery positive.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

For further diagnostic information refer to the appropriate section of eTIS.

===END OBDII DTC P0490-C===

===IC DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Instrument Cluster

===END IC DTC None===

===CSM DTC None===

Module: Security module

===END CSM DTC None===

===PAM DTC None===

Module: Parking Aid Module

===END PAM DTC None===

===ECS DTC None===

Module: Electronic Crash Sensor

===END ECS DTC None===

===ABS DTC None===

Module: Antilock braking system

===END ABS DTC None===
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Help with DTC Codes

Postby sparkybandit » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 am

Good day to you folks well I had a lot of views to my previous post about needing help with DTC codes on my connect but no replies, I don't know why.
I have researched alot on the forum about this EGR fault and today felt confidant enough to crack open my tools and have a look - this is what i found.

(Also went and bought a spare inlet manifold in-case I can't clean old one well enough and so that I can familarize myself with the parts.)

Van has flagged up Code: P0490 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High ,I read the code on the day i purchased van from an old boy but i took the risk and bought it hoping it would clear with use.
Sometimes it flags up the check engine light and I go and clear it and it might be a while but it will come on again.

Today I have seperated assembly and and obviously both parts showed signs of heavy carbon. Cleaned both and then have filmed the actions of both while running / revving engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWSM_IL_HBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9I7KvMahQ

The rotating spindle moves fairly easily without roughness but what i have noticed is that while it bottoms out anti-clockwise to the point where i think it's meant to but when turning clockwise it doesn't come out as far as a spare NEW valve that I've checked does. (see pics attached) So I think the valve is either not closing completely or opening completely. which ever way open/closed is? (can someone tell me) is this due to carbon buildup within?
Engine idles fine,revs are fine,no mil light and i have cleared codes and re-read and nothing as of yet. it hasn't come back on yet but i suspect it will after so many turns of the ignition?

can i get anyone's opinions please? what are my next steps ? anything else i can try before a strip down and clean?
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparkybandit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect