*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Changing vans

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Changing vans

Postby highroof » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:38 pm

I've to and fro'd with this for a while without really needing to do anything about it. Still don't have to, to be fair. I've got a 2010 LWB 110 Limited in Ocean blue met, 58k miles, fsh, I'm the 2nd owner. I've had it since 2014.It's in very nice nick. I change the oil and filter every 5k between main dealer services. It's always been run on BP Ultimate or the Shell equivalent. I like the van to drive.

it's been "niggly", without any real headaches. Air temp sensor replaced. Glow plugs replaced, dogbone box mount replaced, clutch replaced, rear exhaust section replaced. Split fuel return pipe, fairly easy fix. Split turbo intake pipe, again, easy fix.

I've thought for a while about a 1.5 Limited from about 2017-2018. Don't really know what to expect as an ownership prospect, or whether the extra outlay would be worth it. It's a work van and I'm conscious that this one appears old as a sole trader and the image that may now be giving when I turn up to quote. Anyone have any thoughts? Cheers.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Changing vans

Postby Jasonpaul » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:44 pm

I'm in the same situation as I have a 2010 with 120k on it. It's been brilliant but it will not last forever so I've been looking at the newer 1.5 tdci Connects

I've had two 1.8 tdci Connects and they have been very reliable I'm not sure about the newer PSA engineered 1.6 or 1.5 . That engine has had it's problems in the French cars. Mainly oil / turbo problems.

I'm leaning toward a 2.0 Caddy at the moment if I dare say that :shock:

However it wouldn't worry me to turn up at a customers house in a 2010 van. It's more likely to be a problem if I turned up in a 2020 van. Then they would think I was earning too much.
Jasonpaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby highroof » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. There's a part of me thinks, should I do something about it while this one is still worth something. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much vans that are comparable to mine are up for, although what they actually go for is a different matter. I'm more bothered about ending up with something that causes me more problems than the one I've got now really.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Of all the Transits that I've had, the 2016 1.5 Limited was by far the nicest to drive. Very well equipped, good on fuel, quick enough, great ride. Even the satnav worked properly , which isn't something you hear from Custom owners, oh and the mirrors fold when you lock it and the heated seat has multiple heat settings...
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby highroof » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:30 am

Mike wrote:Of all the Transits that I've had, the 2016 1.5 Limited was by far the nicest to drive. Very well equipped, good on fuel, quick enough, great ride. Even the satnav worked properly , which isn't something you hear from Custom owners, oh and the mirrors fold when you lock it and the heated seat has multiple heat settings...

Is there any reason other than age and the euro 5 and 6 difference why a person shouldn't buy the 1.6? Any weaker or stronger reliability issues to think about?I really don't know much about the 1.6 models. My main problem going forward is the fact that I live in a city centre and the emissions controls are only going to get worse, so I probably should stick with looking at Euro 6 stuff.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:15 am

The 1.5 is more powerful :mrgreen:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby V184 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:19 pm

Jasonpaul wrote:

However it wouldn't worry me to turn up at a customers house in a 2010 van. It's more likely to be a problem if I turned up in a 2020 van. Then they would think I was earning too much.

i just say im in a demo, ref turning up in a new van :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby highroof » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:09 pm

Mike wrote:The 1.5 is more powerful :mrgreen:

Lol, right, well that's me sold! 1.5 it is then. I like quick vans.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Well, I finally got around to doing something about this and put a deposit on a 2018 LWB Trend with a mega spec and low miles.

If anyone is interested, my 59 plate will be on the market in a week or two.download/file.php?mode=view&id=35843

It's a 2009 facelift LWB 110 Limited in Ocean blue met, 59k miles, fsh, armourplate door security. Heated front screen. DAB head unit from a Focus RS. Alpine door speakers. Mondeo chrome door handles. The alloys fitted are near perfect and are on Bridgestones. I have another, slightly tattier set of original alloys with Michelins and a set of steels on Michelin Alpin winter tyres.

The rear is lined, carpeted and insulated. The rear doors are half glass ( the glass is black ) with wash wipe and security grilles fitted. There are also loom guards fitted. It has roof rails and bars. I've had it for 7 years and have every receipt and invoice for it since then and some from before that. It's as close to immaculate as could reasonably be expected for a van of this age. Very clean and tidy engine bay. Not an easy thing to find in this condition and mileage.

For any more info or pics, I'm on 07909 902828 anytime. Cheers Andy.

Mods, sorry, just realised there's a dedicated section for this sort of thing, if it needs to be moved, no probs, cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jasonpaul » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 pm

Old van looks in great condition that will sell no problem for good money

New van sounds great - Enjoy
Jasonpaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kenton » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Unless the emissions control in your city are gonna get worse imminently, I wouldn't swap this for a computer on wheels like the new vans are. You got a lovely van there mate.
Just my H O.
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby highroof » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:22 am

Kenton wrote:Unless the emissions control in your city are gonna get worse imminently, I wouldn't swap this for a computer on wheels like the new vans are. You got a lovely van there mate.
Just my H O.
K

Hi. I live in Newcastle city centre, so I'm always under threat of some nonsense about emissions. I very much like the van I currently own. I've only seen one other in this colour. I watch the prices of all models. Mine is still relatively valuable, and my concern is that euro 6 prices will go through the roof and the cost to change will become prohibitive. It seems like a good time to get to grips with things. Someone will end up with a lovely van. Hopefully someone on this forum. It's had minor issues, but it's been maintained absolutely regardless of cost. I'm a very diligent owner. Everyone I know says I'm mad to sell it. I'll miss it, it's part of the family. I'm not fickle about vehicles, I've owned my Mitsubishi Evo for 18 years. I only commit to vehicles worth owning and maintaining.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby highroof » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:38 am

Jasonpaul wrote:Old van looks in great condition that will sell no problem for good money

New van sounds great - Enjoy

Thanks for that, the pic I posted is one of many. It's genuinely in fantastic condition. I'll be very sorry to see it go. It's earned me way more than I'll get for it or has cost me to own. If the new one is anything like it, I'll count myself as very lucky.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:56 am

Good decision, once you’re in the new van you’ll think that the old one was like driving a tractor :lol:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby highroof » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:39 pm

Mike wrote:Good decision, once you’re in the new van you’ll think that the old one was like driving a tractor :lol:

You aren't the first to say that! I haven't driven a new one yet, so I'm hoping it's going to be all they say it is. It wouldn't break my heart to run the blue one for another few years, but like I say, where I live I think I'll get hit hard due to proposed emissions controls if I don't act now.
highroof
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Connect