*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2004 connect intake pipe sucks closed wont start?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

2004 connect intake pipe sucks closed wont start?

Postby Rustynail » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 pm

Hey guys, my mk1 connect tddi is sucking the inlet pipe closed as it meets turbo and wont start unless i remove it from the airbox then its fine bit obviously no sensor reading from the box. Its a brand new pipe as the old one was split right around where it meets the airbox. Covered in oil and perishing. I fitted new pipe wouldnt start, noticed the short intercooler hoses on top were closing up when turning over. Fitted new ones still closed up. Noticed main intake pipe so removed it now runs fine again. If try fitting it with engine running it immediately closes on itself and cuts out.

Is this a case of bad cheap ass pipe? Or have i got something else going on? I got the van with a split intake hose so dont know if it had same problem with the old split pipe. Any ideas guys? Dont like running it with no filter or map sensor she seems abit upset with it.

Thanks
Rustynail
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: 2004 connect intake pipe sucks closed wont start?

Postby Kenton » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:34 pm

Have you opened the filter box? If what I am reading is correct, it seems like some sort of blockage on the intake, as it sounds like air starvation :?: Also, is the intake pipe at the top (right by the box) covered in oil? Is there a big amount of excess smoke on running?
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:35 am

Is your turbos impeller jamed or collapsed

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:24 pm

andz327 wrote:Is your turbos impeller jamed or collapsed

Would have thought it would make a horrendous noise Andrew :?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Kenton » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:55 pm

You say it runs ok with the intake pipe disconnected though :?: :?:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:17 pm

V184 wrote:

Would have thought it would make a horrendous noise Andrew :?
You may think V but had a dude with a berlingo that drove but no power , he had new turbo fitted 2 weeks prior so i had look at it, when revved turbo pipe collapsed so thought something had blocked air intake like a rag or something, but what had happened was garage that fitted new turbo never changed oil feed pipe, not even attempted to even clean it, turbo broke blocked the air intake enough to cause pipe to collapse , and no tell tale blown turbo smoke due to oil feed pipe being totally blocked hence it was still driving although with no power but driving and no mad noises

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rustynail » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:07 am

No it seems to drive fine. Turbo spins freely with my fingers. No oil coming out of turbo now it was oil from a previous leak above the gearbox that was going over the pipe. The only noise it makes is on idle as the solenoid on the pump seems to be trying to tap out but starts runs and drives and pulls fine just not 100% onvinced shes happy with it off. Just the new hose collapses right at the turbo elbow bit and feels really soft when i squeeze it off the van. No blockage in airbox just done full service new filters etc thats how i noticed the old pipe was fooked.
Rustynail
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:36 am

Rustynail wrote:No it seems to drive fine. Turbo spins freely with my fingers. No oil coming out of turbo now it was oil from a previous leak above the gearbox that was going over the pipe. The only noise it makes is on idle as the solenoid on the pump seems to be trying to tap out but starts runs and drives and pulls fine just not 100% onvinced shes happy with it off. Just the new hose collapses right at the turbo elbow bit and feels really soft when i squeeze it off the van. No blockage in airbox just done full service new filters etc thats how i noticed the old pipe was fooked.

Personally I would just try another intake pipe. Sounds like this one has a manufacturing defect, and the turbo vacuum is causing it to collapse:!: Especially if it feels very soft. The cheaper eBay ones from TPUK generally seem fine (I have one on mine) and many others on here have fitted them with no complaints. Or you could try contacting the seller of this one and see if they would accept a return???
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby blue estate » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:09 pm

Kenton wrote:
Rustynail wrote:No it seems to drive fine. Turbo spins freely with my fingers. No oil coming out of turbo now it was oil from a previous leak above the gearbox that was going over the pipe. The only noise it makes is on idle as the solenoid on the pump seems to be trying to tap out but starts runs and drives and pulls fine just not 100% onvinced shes happy with it off. Just the new hose collapses right at the turbo elbow bit and feels really soft when i squeeze it off the van. No blockage in airbox just done full service new filters etc thats how i noticed the old pipe was fooked.

Personally I would just try another intake pipe. Sounds like this one has a manufacturing defect, and the turbo vacuum is causing it to collapse:!: Especially if it feels very soft. The cheaper eBay ones from TPUK generally seem fine (I have one on mine) and many others on here have fitted them with no complaints. Or you could try contacting the seller of this one and see if they would accept a return???
+1 on TPUK

Sent from some where
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Rustynail » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:39 pm

Kenton wrote:

Yes mate this was the cheapest one i could find. £9 delivered brand new come without the turbo connector or the brather tube from rocker cover. Had to use them off my old pipe. Doesnt feel much different to the old one but cant tell as old one is split around the airbox connection bit. Il try another. I always say buy right or buy twice. Should take my own advice!

Thanks guys.
Rustynail
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rustynail » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:35 pm

All sorted boys. The new intake pipe had a blockeage at the elbow from the mould not removing the excess properly. Cut it ou now all good.

Thanks
Rustynail
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:39 pm

Rustynail wrote:All sorted boys. The new intake pipe had a blockeage at the elbow from the mould not removing the excess properly. Cut it ou now all good.

Thanks

Great news mate! At least we were in the right ball park! :D
Nice one for getting back to the thread! 8)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby blue estate » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:09 pm

Kenton wrote:
Rustynail wrote:All sorted boys. The new intake pipe had a blockeage at the elbow from the mould not removing the excess properly. Cut it ou now all good.

Thanks

Great news mate! At least we were in the right ball park! :D
Nice one for getting back to the thread! 8)
Nice cheap fix then

Sent from some where
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Return to Transit Connect