*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Removing roof rack, Where do I get plugs?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Removing roof rack, Where do I get plugs?

Postby SandyHenderson » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:26 pm

I'm driving a 2006 transit connect. Came with a roof rack but I'm not needing it. My vans a self converted camper so doing this right is a must!

I've ebayed the plugs and googled this many times but there's no answer. I've seen people mention they had to get two or three different sizes of plugs. I've phones ford parts and they couldn't even give me a parts number for the plugs. There's circle ones and oval ones on ebay but I'm not spending over £20 to find out I need other ones.

Seen people saying put the bolt back in and add silicone... Seems like a cowboy job (silicone eats metal) and like I said as a converted van, I don't want to take risks with leaks and have it ruin my full winter of work I done.

I was thinking I could take these out a van at a scrappy but I'm in doubt. Maybe they'd leak if used twice?

Any ideas? The roof racks annoying me now lol
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Removing roof rack, Where do I get plugs?

Postby eddiez » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:56 am

I don't have a perfect answer, but, maybe can help. I recently had to find plugs for the wiper post holes, through the rear door glass.

The best single resource I found was the caplugs site: https://www.caplugs.com/flush-button-plugs-bpf

...not just that product page, but, several others. If you find one with good measurements, take the item number and search ebay and Amazon, and the web, as they are typically sold in small quantities, often a 4-pack for $5 or $10. Note that the most likely plugs are not rubber, but, a type of plastic, which tells me they would need sealer added, before installation -- if they test-fit ok.

Don't let the need for sealer bother you. In addition to my 2013 TC (have not had the roof plugs out), I have a 2015 full sized Transit. When I removed the plugs from that vehicle, I noted that they are a plastic material, with sealer applied... may very well be the same as on the TC. I would not use silicone sealer. Some sort of doors and windows caulk. If you're really paranoid, add Dicor self-leveling sealer around the top of the plugs.
eddiez
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby s2martin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:16 pm

I bought a set of the original plugs from ebay recently for my 2003 Connect and they are perfect:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... 4587824232. I thought they were a bit pricey for what they were, but didn't want to bodge anything and risk water leaking into the van. When I bought it, the previous owner hadn't fitted them so no surprise under the drivers side rubber mat it was very wet! These plugs have cured the leak.
2003 Transit Connect T230 TDCI LWB
Solo camper conversion (in progress)
s2martin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby SandyHenderson » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 pm

I saw these but wasn't sure if they were what I needed but thanks for clearing that up! Did you use any sealant whilst fitting them or are they really right against the van?
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby s2martin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm

No, you don't need any sealant, just tighten them up. The rubber washer is about 1" diameter so forms the seal.
s2martin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby SandyHenderson » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:05 pm

Nice one! Thanks bud!
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby s2martin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am

No problem, glad to be able to help :)
s2martin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect