*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Instrument cluster faulty!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Instrument cluster faulty!

Postby Kenton » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:32 pm

Worth getting it plugged in and codes read after too! :!:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:15 pm

Thanks bud! Defo been stung with this one but it is what it is I suppose. As for the mileage, Im going to do it myself, looked right into it and it seems basic to be fair. The same cable you use to connect the cluster to the pc can check for issues too I'm sure so it might be worthwhile spending the £20 on a cable and download forscan.

Update time...

Just back from scrappy. Picked up a cluster for £20! Mileage is at 54k too haha. Van fired up fine with it attached, everything appears normal. The abs light is now constantly light on my dash instead of being dimly light. Clearly previous owner tried to bypass this. I might just switch to my old cluster for the mot or maybe pull the fuse on the abs and hope it isn't noticed. I've been driving around knowing that if I brake hard that the abs won't work anyway since I noticed the light after purchase so I'm careful in that sense anyway.

Any ideas on how to check what's tripping the light? :roll:
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:44 pm

How long is the clock meant to stay on after locking doors? Can't remember but this new ones been on ten mins...
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Cool! 8) Glad you got a result with the scrappy. The clocks on mine stay on permanently. Not the lights, just the displays, so that's normal. The ABS could be simply one of the sensors needs replacing! Pretty simple fix. Worth seeing if you can get it done then hopefully the light will go out :?: Good luck with the MOT pal. :wink:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:39 pm

Thanks dude! I'd be lost without you guys!

That's good to hear, just wasn't sure if it'd drain battery but oh well. At least I've got it working. I also managed to score an accelerator pedal for £15 so I'll be able to fix my random revs now too. Total legends you guy! :D

I'll update this thread in the next week or two just so people know how she's running. Nothing worse than going on a thread and you don't find out the end result haha :lol:
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Nope, no fear of battery drain from the clocks. I would disconnect that positive lead you have running from the battery first and foremost, if you haven't already. And look at the ABS sensors. They can also suffer with crap and water getting into the connections which are right by the lower part of the springs. Just follow the wires. So when fitting new sensors, make double sure that the plugs to the loom are clean. 8)
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:13 pm

That's good news then! I will do. Suppose I don't even need it connected if I don't have an aftermarket radio unit anyway. As for the abs sensors, I'll give that a bash at some point soon too. That will be fun, I havnt ever even changed a wheel yet :roll: :lol: im just diving into doing things myself, cause why not :D what could be the worst case scenario with the abs light on? Just curious why they tried to bypass the abs light other than just for an mot.
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Out of curiosity, pull the radio out to make sure the loom hasn't been buggered about with. The extra positive wire may be connected to the bodged loom :?: I say fair play to you mate. Getting stuck in and learning your way around is the way to go! I have always been into cars, and the mechanics behind them, but every vehicle has its differences, even though we are a 99% Ford family owning no less than 10 various models, the differences and similarities can be very close, but very wide! The ABS system MAY have other issues, but the way forward in my opinion is to check out your sensors first, as it is fairly straightforward. The loom may have a break in another part, the fuse is worth checking, or it could be as simple as knackered connections to the sensors themselves :?: If you know a good garage, or have forscan, it would be worth getting the codes read and translated.
All the best bud, and keep at it!! 8) :wink: :D
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SandyHenderson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:12 pm

I'll give that a check hopefully tomorrow pal! Never thought of checking the loom! I remember connecting the radio when I got the van as he just left it for me to connect, can't remember anything looking out of place but I wasn't looking for faults then, so worth another look!

Thanks :D it's defo saved me a few quid for these little faults I'm finding and doing myself and it helps me sleep knowing it's repaired! (I don't do the old "forget about it" :lol:). You make a good point about cars being different yet so similar!

I'll defo check the sensors next. I'll get in the old youtube so I know roughly where I'm looking. Checked all the outter fuses and they seemed fine, had a quick scan of the glove box fuses and they seemed fine. No idea how you check those relays and what they're for but that's for another day I believe. I'm ordering the cable so I can program my mileage so I'll be getting forscan downloaded too, I'm half decent at computer stuff luckily lol. I'll defo do a reading too. Thanks bud!! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:26 pm

The loom looked fine however I noticed a couple days back when removing the plastic under the steering wheel that the suspected killswitch is what I believe that red wire from the positive is going to. I wonder if that makes it more likely to be a killswitch or not. Could explain the very small battery drain the guy at Halfrauds was telling me when I got a free battery check?
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nordic Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 pm

SandyHenderson wrote:
Just back from scrappy. Picked up a cluster for £20! Mileage is at 54k too haha.

I have similar LCD clocks in my MK6 Transit and if I remember correctly someone once told me (it may have been MinorMatt) that the mileage is not stored on the cluster but on the BCM/ECU or whatever clever electronic box..

Therefore, your new ex-scrapyard clocks should be showing the correct mileage for your van, it isn't a coincidence. I think.....
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:45 am

I bought a very used one from the scrappy a while back to do some testing with, and that showed the original vans mileage of 165k. I have it on good advice that the mileage is indeed kept on the cluster. :!:
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nordic Blue » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:18 am

Kenton wrote:I bought a very used one from the scrappy a while back to do some testing with, and that showed the original vans mileage of 165k. I have it on good advice that the mileage is indeed kept on the cluster. :!:

Maybe the Connects are different to the Transits, or I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time!

I know I asked because mine had the usual MK6 dodgy intermittent gauges (which I've since fixed). I was wondering if mine was a high miler that just wasn't counting when the odometer blanked, but was told the van counted and stored the miles elsewhere.
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:29 pm

My scrappy bought cluster shows a different mileage. I'm going to program it with forscan soon to get the right mileage. Think the transit one must be different then..
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Connect