*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Timing belt

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Timing belt

Postby lewdale » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:31 am

Hi guys I have a 57 plate tdci connect, now I don't have much history with the van and was looking into doing the timing belt but I'm reading about it having a belt and chain etc which is all a bit confusing, just need a simple answer as whether I just need to simply change the timing belt or not? Thanks
lewdale
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Timing belt

Postby Altransit » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:11 am

The earlier Connects had an upper belt and a lower chain, the upper belt was the one that needed changing at around 100k miles.
In 2007 (or 2008 not sure) they changed this to an upper belt with a lower wet belt.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Boghopper » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:19 pm

Yours, will more than likely have the lower wet-belt. If your van is up at 100,000 miles you need to really change the lower belt for the chain, because if you don't it will snap soon, and take your engine with it.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm

I'm sure in the haynes manual the upper belt interval is 125k it needs changed or every 10 year. Upper belt and lower wet belt is pricey. You'd be looking at £800-1000 in the UK. I've heard for similar price you can convert the wet belt to a chain. But then again wouldn't it be cheaper just swapping the engine if it went? Just some thoughts for you to consider first. You could always do the dry belt for around £140 and if the wet belt goes then do an engine swap. You could put a new belt and chain on a different engine before a swap too for extra piece of mind, since the engine would be out the bay.
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:35 pm

It would be far simpler, and cheaper to just buy the whole setup and replace it all. The trouble with this is if the punter has the tools and capability to actually do it, the actual parts are not too expensive.

What people are doing replacing their wet-belt with another, new wet-belt, instead of a chain, has got to be one of the most retarded things to ever occur in human history. If they are going to go to the trouble why, oh why, don't they put a chain back in and eliminate the death-wish, wet-belt.

Seriously, it isn't that difficult to do, but you do need a fair few tools.

When I did mine, I had the actual timing case start weeping water so I had to strip it back to the engine block so as to refit a new gasket. This was unforseen and caused problems as I had to stop and order a new gasket. I don't know if this is a common occurance though, or just something that happened to me.

I would do this rather than try and source, and fit a new motor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRANSIT-CONN ... SwjjdeQpan
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NC53 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 pm

First thing you need to do is establish whether you have a chain or a wet belt. Your van is right on the change over date so it could be either. Easiest way is probably just to give your reg to a ford dealer and ask them to look it up on their system.

If it is a wet belt, then definitely change it over to a chain as sooner or later you will have a failure with a wet belt.

As for the timing belt, I would change it now. It's not a big job and although ford's service interval for it is more than the mileage you have done, I personally regard 100k as about right for renewal.
NC53
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby lewdale » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:28 pm

Is ford the only place I can find out the set up of my engine? Thanks for your help
lewdale
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:42 pm

October 07 was the change from chain to wet belt :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Boghopper » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Is ford the only place I can find out the set up of my engine? Thanks for your help

Anyone with Microcat can tell you simply by inputting the V.I.N. number. Another way to check is by removing the tensioner (under the power-steering pump) and looking at the tip of it. If it has flat end, you have a wet-belt. If it is convex (domed) you have a chain. The chain tensioner hexagon head is also black, whilst the wet-belt head is a bronzy/gold colour.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby lewdale » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:33 pm

September 07 was when my van was registered, and when I put the details into Euro car parts it's showing a lower timing chain,so I'm hoping this is the case,will call Ford tomorrow to confirm, if it's a chain I take it that I should be able to get away with just doing the upper belt?
Thanks for all the help
lewdale
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby lewdale » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Quick update, just spoken to Ford,they said mine has a lower chain that doesn't need to be changed so I just need to change the belt which is a result
lewdale
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby SandyHenderson » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:44 pm

Result!
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby lewdale » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:23 pm

Is there a how to guide on how to do the belt?
lewdale
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Boghopper » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Is there a how to guide on how to do the belt?

This is as good as it gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l6-JUImJQw
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect