*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Connect won’t start and cuts out, urgent help required

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Connect won’t start and cuts out, urgent help required

Postby Dan_28 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi guys, so I’m at the end of my tether with this van, it’s a 2002 1.8tdci 90ps 66kw. The problem is it won’t start, then the famous flashing glow plug light comes on, I can start it on brake cleaner and it’ll run for 2 minutes then cut out as if a switch has been flicked. Under load it will stutter and then pick up as if there is a delay in the fuel delivery. I have just fitted a new cam and crankshaft sensor and still no luck. There is no fuel being pumped up to the fuel filter either. When it’s cranking there is fuel at the injectors but it still won’t crank. I’m reluctant to take it to a garage as I know they will just throw parts at it such as fuel pump and injectors at £400 each which is an expensive way to do it. I have read so many threads on here about people doing the same and fitting new injectors and pumps and the thing still won’t run so I want to try and avoid that if I can help it. Can anybody please shine any light on to this matter before I lose any more hair haha many thanks guys
Dan_28

Re: Connect won’t start and cuts out, urgent help required

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:27 pm

I'm clued up on engines but not diesel fuel systems.
one of the first things ever you should check on any vehicle with fuel problems is the fuel cap breather, now i know that there is some sort valve in it ..make sure this isn't the culprit by running with the fuel cap removed.

next pick out all the things that don't cost major money to replace, check , clean or replace.

starting with fuel filter and bleeding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X7q77ENVbU

also pump some diesel out, let it settle for half an hour and look for water in a clear glass

that's as far as i can help.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect