*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Spare wheel options

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Spare wheel options

Postby Snaf » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:13 pm

Evening all.
I've got a 2020 LWB Connect crewcab, despite ordering it with steel wheels and a spare it came with ally wheels and no spare but a pump and cartridge repair system. Today I've holed the tyre beyond repair, I can't get a new tyre fitted of the same spec locally until Thursday but have located a spare steel wheel with good tyre. The question is do I need different wheel nuts to go with it, if so which ones fit?
Alternatively has anyone in Devon got a good 2020 16" wheel and tyre for sale asap.
To add insult to injury I was using the Connect for work because the other Transit has the ESP and eng fault lights on :-(
Snaf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Spare wheel options

Postby blue estate » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:34 pm

The alloy nuts will be ok
Just make sure the steel is on the rear so it don’t affect the steering
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Snaf » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:59 am

blue estate wrote:The alloy nuts will be ok
Just make sure the steel is on the rear so it don’t affect the steering

Thanks, I'd not considered any effect of running different wheels on the drive/steering end.
Are you saying the nuts fit or are just OK, I run back and forth between Edinburgh and Devon and want more than a get you home/to a garage solution which it would appear all the diy/space saver options offer.
Snaf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:30 am

Nut fitment depends on the length of the studs. The steel wheel is thinner so the stud can knacker the aluminium cover on the nut. For that reason I had a separate set of nuts for my steel winter wheels.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Snaf » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:15 am

Thanks it's a good point, and now I need a spare wheel carrier as it didn't come with one. I guess I'll need a jack and wheel brace as well, VOR for five days because of a flat tyre :roll:
Snaf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby LostinTransit » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:41 pm

This is something I've bene exploring. Because we have the 2020 TC SWB XL 2.0L cargo van, the studs are M14's and NOT M12's. So make sure you get the correct wheels according to the wheels studs. Knowing that we're running the M14's a whole new world of spare tire possibilities opened up to us. We'll be removing the 16'' factory spare from under the van and replacing it with a balloon spare from a 2005 Ford Thunderbird. Sounds like an odd combination, but the stud size, bolt pattern & center bore are all the same. The only issue is that the tire on the spare has bene known to explode while in or on the car at any given moment. We're going to remove the tire, have the wheel clean & powder coated then replace the tire with something more durable. I'm hoping these weekend I'll be able to actually test the balloon tire on the van just to check the offset & clearance. This could mean having to use the spare mounted on the rear of the van at any given time. Once we've ruled out any issues, we'll remove the tire and send the wheel to the powder coaters. Then have a wheelchair ramp installer, mount a bracket inside the van as to allow the thin spare inside the van instead of under the van as from the factory.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:59 pm

Snaf wrote:Thanks it's a good point, and now I need a spare wheel carrier as it didn't come with one. I guess I'll need a jack and wheel brace as well, VOR for five days because of a flat tyre :roll:

If you do long journeys and don't fancy having to do that journey on the spare space saver tyre at 50mph, it might be worth trying to source another alloy with a correct sized tyre, and keeping it inside the van.
It's not very convenient, but it's an option worth thinking about :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Snaf » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:14 am

Update
I eventually got another tyre the same and had it fitted to the alloy wheel.
I bought a complete new same size steel wheel and tyre, the alloy wheel nuts wouldn't torque up properly on the steel so I bought new steel wheel nuts which are a different chamfer angle.
In short what a pita and thankfully the puncture was within a mile of home and not Scotland.
All I need now is a spare wheel hanger etc and I'll be happy to have reinvented what every car/van/truck I've ever owned before had, a safely stowed spare wheel.
Snaf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 am

Snaf wrote:the alloy wheel nuts wouldn't torque up properly on the steel so I bought new steel wheel nuts which are a different chamfer angle.

Unlikely that it's the correct wheel for your van, my '16 Connect came with a steel spare which obviously had the same chafer as the alloy wheels.

The steel wheels that I bought for my winter tyres had different nuts, they weren't genuine Ford wheels.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Snaf » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:50 am

Mike wrote:
Snaf wrote:the alloy wheel nuts wouldn't torque up properly on the steel so I bought new steel wheel nuts which are a different chamfer angle.

Unlikely that it's the correct wheel for your van, my '16 Connect came with a steel spare which obviously had the same chafer as the alloy wheels.

The steel wheels that I bought for my winter tyres had different nuts, they weren't genuine Ford wheels.

Was your spare a space saver or full size? It's a good point that you make that any OEM fitted spare would require using the same nuts
I bought a genuine new full size Ford steel wheel so I'm fairly sure it's correct for the van but I'll have to carry spare nuts.
Snaf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:30 am

It was the full size one that came with the van. If (as you say) it’s genuine I’d be asking Ford why it doesn’t fit.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:32 pm

mine had 16 inch alloys on it ...i took the spare off the other day and it was a 15 inch steel one ..so now on the hunt for a matching alloy.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Snaf » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:50 pm

Mike wrote:It was the full size one that came with the van. If (as you say) it’s genuine I’d be asking Ford why it doesn’t fit.

It does fit but there are different wheel nuts between the alloy and steel wheel that I have. What year is yours? Mines a 2020 and at the time they came with alloy wheels as standard without a steel wheel option.
Snaf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Snaf » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:51 pm

metalworker0 wrote:mine had 16 inch alloys on it ...i took the spare off the other day and it was a 15 inch steel one ..so now on the hunt for a matching alloy.

I don't think a 15" wheel would fit over my front brakes on a 2020.
Snaf
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect