*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

INFO about battery protection

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

INFO about battery protection

Postby beatnik » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Hi everyone

I have a 2012 Connect setup as a very basic campervan. I have been pondering about fitting a leisure battery with a split charge relay, but in reality this system would be kinda overkill.

Extra power is needed exclusively for lights really and I don't need very long hours so I think I should be able to get enough light time with the van starter battery and using the stock lamp that is already present in the back of the van.

Also, I believe the bulbs in the stock lamp could be replaced with led based types and that should further reduce current consumption.

The main worry is obviously draining the battery and having to jump start the van, and even damaging the battery if this happens too many times.

I have found this kind of device that should prevent the battery from discharging and it's relatively low cost

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370935357422 ... BLEALw_wcB

But I am actually wondering if the van already has some sort of protection system, because I have noticed the radio switches off after a couple hours or so.

If the van already has a system to protect the battery the additional device wouldn't be necessary really.

Would be great if someone more expert could give me some insight on this subject. Many thanks in advance
beatnik
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Connect