*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rusted around this part! RUST QUESTIONS

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Rusted around this part! RUST QUESTIONS

Postby SandyHenderson » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:24 pm

So I'm thinking of undersealing my van as about 70% of it is pretty clean underneath. The worst area is from the rear axle backwards. I'm thinking I can remove the rough stuff and underseal over the rest.

However I noticed there's a bit flaking around this red thing (not sure what it's called :lol:). It looks like it's gonna be tricky for my welding guy to do due to the shape and angle and the fact the red thing sits in it.

The guy I had replace my sill done a brilliant job (never seen a better welding job!) but I don't want to bring the van there tomorrow as he'll start poking holes in everything. I may be able to sneak it by an MOT as is but I'm really just looking for some comforting replies and some ideas haha. Ive just bandaged repaired the exhaust, which is why I think that bits badly rusted,due to fumes blasting on it constantly. Also wondering if I'd need to remove my insulation and flooring inside the back of the van for that part to be repaired. I wouldn't think so as it's more a structure than the actual floor metal, but any advice is good.

I've included another picture so you get an idea of the other corroded areas. The middle and front of my van is clean with hardly any corrosion spots!

Any words of advice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Rusted around this part! RUST QUESTIONS

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 pm

RED THING - its called a bump stop ..I don't know what those bits are hanging down around it are ..mine does not have them or ever did. my bump stops are very good.
- for 2006
The area you showed over the spare wheel is also very good on mine .
Mine had rusty sills ..doing it now ..the biggest problem was the middle sill and the jacking re-enforcements had gone. ...lets hope your guy attended to those ..as yours looks worse than mine in an area that isn't prone to rust!
Note: sills can be repaired and made to look fantastic with filler disguising bad, shoddy and hurried work - its taken me over 30 hours and I'm still on one side.

That rusty area over the spare wheel --- suggest - all i can suggest for you ...wire brush on a drill..It's going to be a dirty job. then you are going to use rust converter ..then whatever paint you have ..it will come through again in less than 5 years - its in an area that isn't structural and mainly dry ..its just that ford didn't paint this area ..its just the grey zinc finish you can see where its not rusted..
best method would be sand blasting if you see yourself still owning it in 5 years

Need some more pictures at different angles of the bump stop.

All the best...mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks for the reply! Those bits hanging down around it are the flaking rusty bits I mentioned. They'll need cut and welded I'd think. As for the rest of it, I've tapped everywhere and it's still solid so I could get onto it and prolong the van for longer. If I got 5 years out of it then I'd be happy!

The welding chap I use is in his late 60s and has been in the game all his days, he's well mentioned by locals and even my trusty mechanic said he's the man for welding. He was criticising other people's welding jobs and said how nobody can weld that good anymore. He was annoyed when I took what was meant to be a welded sill to him (previous owner had them "done") and funny enough they were only spot welded and filled with filler. He's redone my sill and seam welded all along it and it's really tidy!

I was going to use lanoguard straight onto the rest of the rust too. I've read that using rust converter isn't a good idea as it just affects the surface and doesn't sink in and then any waxol you use won't touch the metal and won't be able to treat it properly. Not sure how accurate these claims are but it's enough for me to think twice about converter and paint. What paint would you suggest? Hammerite ain't flexible and will just trap water under it so if going down that route, I'd need a decent paint for the job
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:06 pm

Don't know it's up to you - most car paints are plus £24 a litre. plus other things you will need to thin it , clean gun -thinners etc £20 a gallon
Being as you will be happy with five years ..and its hidden away ..wire brush followed by zinc primer plus house-hold gloss paint. applied with roller.
I don't know what the rest of the van looks like ......how many miles it has left in it and you have to consider that at a future date, there is great possibility that many things may add up all at once and write the van off ..like exhaust , tyres, clutch - brakes - engine issues.

all the best....mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:36 pm

Thats some serious rusting issue which can not be repaired. I notice several areas where the flaking has occurred as well as a main hairline crack. These are all part of the frame and as another poster said the bump stop. One good downward thrust this could send that area into the body or even crack lose causing even more damage. Not sure how good the welders are in your area, but you're looking to replace at least 3 foot of metal and at least 3-4 sides of that rusted area.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:01 pm

Oh dear oh dear. Maybe I should just kurust it and then use por 15 paint or something on it? I need the van to last at least 3 years. I just bought it last September and converted it. I don't mind paying a few hundred for the flaking bit to get sorted. As for the rest of it, it's not flaking and I've tapped it and it's fine for now, so maybe kurust and paint will make it last longer?
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:24 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Don't know it's up to you - most car paints are plus £24 a litre. plus other things you will need to thin it , clean gun -thinners etc £20 a gallon
Being as you will be happy with five years ..and its hidden away ..wire brush followed by zinc primer plus house-hold gloss paint. applied with roller.
I don't know what the rest of the van looks like ......how many miles it has left in it and you have to consider that at a future date, there is great possibility that many things may add up all at once and write the van off ..like exhaust , tyres, clutch - brakes - engine issues.

all the best....mark

Good points mark! I've put a lot of work into converting the van and I've done some mechanical fixes and upgrades to make it run better and cleaner so I'm looking for at least 3 years out of it. 5 and I'm happy!! Miles is only 118k, timing belts changed, clutch and gears are smooth and still have plenty life left. I'm thinking kurust and por 15 may be a good option despite my worries of rust converter lol. Thanks for the help btw :)
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm

what ever you don't use that jenolite stuff ..it was good when they first brought it out ...now its as weak as vinegar .

wouldn't be surprised if they have done the same to kurust

best source phosphoric acid from ebay ...and add a thickening agent to it, need lots of PPE - and go for it .

You could also say to hell with it and just spray the lot with waxoyle, it will stay wet for a while and soak into the rust and keep it at bay.

but blasting is the best method .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect