*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fixing 2012 Connect XLT stuck in park?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Fixing 2012 Connect XLT stuck in park?

Postby eleniontolto » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:06 am

A new-to-me 2012 Ford Transit Connect XLT is having issues with the shifter getting stuck in park. We have removed a small tab on the shifter bezel and can move out of park by pushing a screwdriver into that hole, but would like to properly fix it. This seems to be a semi-common issue so I'm hoping some of you awesome people that have experiences this can confirm part numbers for me as well as the best approach for some troubleshooting!

Research says this is *likely* an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, though could also be brake light switch, ignition switch, or a loose connection of causing an open circuit. Am I missing anything else here? I am about to order a service manual unless I can find a free one somewhere (sources welcomed), but would love to be able to start troubleshooting or ordering parts before it arrives. We are a small STRUGGLING business so trying to avoid *any* unneeded costs....I have done a lot of searching but most videos and walkthroughs seem to be for other model years.

My questions:

1. My main question: Can anyone confirm the part number of the shiftlock solenoid for this vehicle? My best guess is Ford part# 7G484 or 7H148, but it's a bit confusing looking at parts lists online, since multiple, quite different parts are also showing up as "shiftlock solenoids" for our vehicle.

2. Some resources online seem to be suggesting there is more than one shiftlock solenoid needed per vehicle. Is this accurate? Is it possible we might need to replace multiple solenoids?

3. My understanding is that to replace the shift lock solenoid, you just need remove the center console to access everything. Does this sound right? Is it the entire center console, or just the shifter bezel? Any tips/tricks on accomplishing this non-destructively? I have plastic bezel tools I can use.

4. How would you recommend testing for a faulty ignition switch on this car? Not something I've had to deal with before, some of the suggestions online don't seem to make logical sense.

5. I'm new to working on Fords. Are there any go-to vendors for affordable replacement parts? Doesn't need to be OEM.

If there are existing tutorials that cover this for my model year, please feel free to just link me to them rather than rewriting it all for me! I haven't found them if they exist.
eleniontolto

Return to Transit Connect