*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pump issue

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Pump issue

Postby Yadick » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi. I have a Tourneo connect TDCI LWB 2004. The ECG has been plated. Had water issues so checked for circulation, thermostat etc. On removing the water pump I discovered that the impeller had disappeared. I shone a light used mirrors magnets and wire raking to see if any bits might be lying around the housing. Non found. New pump fresh water all great. van ran ok then heater went cold. No over heating to begin with. Now it over heats a spits water out of the reservoir. Replaced thermostat and still same. I assume engine cut out is a safety aspect. I have flushed all the system and heater separately, checked hoses are clear and re tried many times. Is it possible for bits of broken impeller to be floating around the engine block causing intermittent blockages. I have some mechanical skills but lack the knowledge gained by practice. I am a marine engineer which means bodge it and scarper to many. :D please advise as i am now in lala land with it. Thanks.
Yadick

Re: Pump issue

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:44 pm

electrochemical corrosion ..you are a marine engineer , so know the answer to all this ..the aluminium has given its self up like a zinc anode on a boat. that's if the impeller was made of aluminium.

other than that i don't know

there is also something called anaerobic corrosion , this involves bacteria ..dont know much about this .

The only metal to disappear overnight is a metal called "pot metal" or monkey metal sometimes called zamak or mazak.. a die cast material same as used in dinky toys
weird stuff that suddenly changes from solid to breaking into thousands of pieces, sometimes without warning and over a short period of time.

so may have had a Chinese made pump at one time made of the wrong material

all the best...mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Yadick » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Thanks for that input Metalworker. Yes zinc anodes are designed to take electrolysis erosion away from metal objects submerged in water. However zinc is many times softer than the average alloy used for impellers and would be shocked to think ford knowingly fitted such a metal in the cooling systems. I have read some had been made of a plastic nylon type product but again hard to think that would disintegrate in use. I have also read the block may have erosion but the pressure test says no. Thanks again.
Yadick

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Well i didn't say ford i said Chinese .

Anyway ..ford fitted a belt running in oil instead of the chain to connects from 2007 onwards ..so they are capable of making wrong moves.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby diddibug » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Yadick wrote:Hi. I have a Tourneo connect TDCI LWB 2004. The ECG has been plated. Had water issues so checked for circulation, thermostat etc. On removing the water pump I discovered that the impeller had disappeared. I shone a light used mirrors magnets and wire raking to see if any bits might be lying around the housing. Non found. New pump fresh water all great. van ran ok then heater went cold. No over heating to begin with. Now it over heats a spits water out of the reservoir. Replaced thermostat and still same. I assume engine cut out is a safety aspect. I have flushed all the system and heater separately, checked hoses are clear and re tried many times. Is it possible for bits of broken impeller to be floating around the engine block causing intermittent blockages. I have some mechanical skills but lack the knowledge gained by practice. I am a marine engineer which means bodge it and scarper to many. :D please advise as i am now in lala land with it. Thanks.

Check the two small hoses to the header tank for blockages, there's a tiny valve in one that bleeds air off the head/ stat, when it blocks the engine boils

Squeeze the hose along its length near the header tank till you find a hard lump and that's yer puppy...
As a get me home fix I squashed the sh*t out of the valve with pliers until it broke- took ages for the engine to reach operating temp but it stopped the boiling over
HTH
diddibug

Return to Transit Connect