*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Heavy fuel leak from top of engine

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Heavy fuel leak from top of engine

Postby Meles » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi all,

Been plodding away with my van conversion. Have fixed the sliding door alignment issue and fitted some wind deflectors etc.

My van started heavily leaking diesel while pumping. It appears to be from a little black plastic ‘node’ coming off the 4 branch fuel line. Could someone tell me the name of this part and if it’s easily fixed and/or requires a replacement part, please? I have been searching online but haven’t found this issue elsewhere yet. I tried to pop it back together onto the injector (?) but no joy and I’m terrified of messing about forcefully with an area that is spilling fuel once engine running. Battery is dead now too so a bit stuck getting it to garage as feel jump leads could be a spark risk!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meles

Re: Heavy fuel leak from top of engine

Postby Kenton » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:16 am

Looks like that could be the leak off pipe from the injector where the 'leak' is coming from. This is basically where excess fuel is sent back. It can be a fairly common issue. Not expensive to fix. Any GOOD garage will be able to fix this. But do not drive it with such a heavy leak. Don't be concerned about spark risk as it is diesel, and will not combust / ignite in the same way as petrol.
Ideally need to get it transported to a garage, or have someone come out to you.
All the best,
K
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Meles » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:49 am

Many thanks for the reply and it does look like the leak off pipe, cheers. I've watched a video of someone replacing the O ring on one on different vehicle and guess my van needs similar. I unknowingly drove about 15 miles with that leak (could forensically retrace my movements back to my house!) and it should really have clicked a bit sooner when my fuel was dropping rapidly. Then, in my ignorance, I initially thought it was as sump issue but the beauty of taking a video was that i could slow it right down to locate the initial occurrence of the leak prior to me being able to get round to the front of the van.
Meles

Postby karl » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:21 pm

push it back in

its came away for some reason

may be the clip as gone that holds it in place

temp repair is push it in and cable tie it securely to the injector
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Meles » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 pm

Just seen that the R-clip is still in place (Brass colour Poking out in photo opposite my finger) so will start with replacing O ring. I saw a video on YouTube undertaking this repair and by looks Of it I can depress the R clip so don’t have to extract it and the poke it back through afterwards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meles

Postby karl » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:49 am

Meles wrote:Just seen that the R-clip is still in place (Brass colour Poking out in photo opposite my finger) so will start with replacing O ring. I saw a video on YouTube undertaking this repair and by looks Of it I can depress the R clip so don’t have to extract it and the poke it back through afterwards.

the actual pipe could be worn hence y it doesnt stay in play

cheap enough brand new ofhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164962362506 ... SwxfBg8Rrj
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Meles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Thanks a lot for the part recommendation. It would seem economical to change the whole thing assuming that it’s something wrong with the line.

I pulled the problem connector out and the green O-Ring seemed to be intact although perhaps there is something subtle that is wrong. The R clip felt a wobbly so could be that the pipe itself is out of shape and therefore not held in place.
Meles

Return to Transit Connect