*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford transit connect MK1 engine rattle!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Ford transit connect MK1 engine rattle!

Postby greenelephant » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:24 am

Hi there.

I have a MK1 ford transit connect 2004 reg plate. over the last few days when I drive my van along the road in 5th gear at around 55-70 mph (2.5k rev approx) the engine and thus vans rattles heavily at this speed and gear selection when the accelerator pedal is engaged. When the foot is taken off the accelerator the rattling stops (including when the van is travelling 55-70 mpg @ 5th gear selection). It also is the case when the van is in 4th gear though the rattling isnt as severe. I know it isnt an internal engine issue as the rattling would still be present when my foot is off the accelerator. I suspect I have now a dodgy/faulty exhaust system but I thought id get a consensus of opinion of more experienced mechanics to know for sure. Does anyone know with this information that I its most likely the exhaust system is at fault. I shall gratefully await replies from anyone who can help

:D :D :D :D
greenelephant

Re: Ford transit connect MK1 engine rattle!

Postby greenelephant » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:53 pm

https://scanneranswers.com/my-car-makes-rattling-noises-when-accelerating-what-could-be-the-problem/#:~:text=Rattling%20noises%20when%20accelerating%20can,if%20the%20problem%20goes%20away.

Ive had a look at the following page. Turns out it may not be the exhaust system as the problem isnt at idle speed

Ive just took the van for a short run. If accelerating hard from either 1st,2nd or 3rd gear up to around 3-4k rpm there is no engine/van rattling. its only in the lower range of speed capacity in 4th and most significantly 5th gear. However if you were to go beyond 70 mph, the rattling ceases until you slow the van down and the put your foot on the accelerator when in the 55-70mph // 1.5-3K rpm range in 5th gear and 4th gear. Im baffled as to what the causes could be?
greenelephant

Re: Ford transit connect MK1 engine rattle!

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:53 pm

My first thing to do would be examine the heat shields .

These are thin aluminium ..and rot where they are bolted on, due to electrolysis between the steel fixing and the surrounding aluminium.
Once they are loose they vibrate in harmony with the engine , shake and rattle about and cause noise.

You will probably find large holes in the aluminium where it is fixed / secured

The fix involves making and aluminium disk to cover the hole...that's if you can undo the fixing without busting it

Hope this is the problem and that its a simple fix.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect