*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Timing chain rattle

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Timing chain rattle

Postby aneng » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Hi. My 2003 Connect has started making an awful rattle on startup from cold. It's got the 80ps 1.8 TDDI Duratorque engine and has the belt replaced last year. I'm pretty sure this has the belt AND chain. The rattle goes fairly soon, especially if you rev it. I'm suspecting that the oil isn't getting to the tensioner quickly - I'm sure I saw a video on that. I'm wondering whether an oil change might help (it's due one) and if not, how big a job it is to replace the chain?
aneng
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Timing chain rattle

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:04 pm

Do you have the correct grade of oil in it : - 5w-30

if yes

Then still do an oil change

They reckon it should be changed every 6000 miles even if you use fully synthetic .

if you've neglected these changes ..you may want to do a double oil change ..first with cheap oil 10w40 ............run for 100 gentle miles (because it does not really protect the turbo)

Drop it out and put in fully synthetic 5w/30 with a new oil filter

Diesels make the oil dirty quicker ..and deposit sludge ...this sludge can gum things up like the one way valve in tensioners and and anti drain back valves in the lubrication system.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect