*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine knock when warm

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Engine knock when warm

Postby 19eddie82 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:44 pm

Sorry to post again before my last issue has been resolved but I’ve just come across somethin that I think may be more important than the blowers not getting hot.

Took the van on a decent drive to see how the blowers were and once the van was up to temperature still no heat, but when the van is idleing it’s fine but if I give the van abit of gas I get a slight tapping sound if I give the van abit more and hold the revs about 2500-3000 revs it seems to develop abit of a rumble almost like a bottom end knock but when driving the van or idle it’s fine.

I’ve had a few of these vans in the past but never with mileage this low, I thought the bottom ends where pretty bomb proof
so I’m wondering if it’s in my imagination or has anyone had any experience with the bottom end going.

Cheers for any help
19eddie82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Engine knock when warm

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:52 pm

I've heard that when the injector seals are leaking, it can sound like what you are describing, so maybe not such bad news after-all, and worth checking out.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 19eddie82 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Defiantly not injector seals I’ve had that before and it’s pretty different. This is almost like a sort of rumble or knock around 2-3k revs. It’s not there on tick over but there is abit of a rattle when the revs are dropping from cold, maybe it’s the same noise when it’s warm I don’t really know.

When it’s warm it seems to be accompanied by a sort of sucking sound but only when I’m driving around 2k rpm and not when I rev in neutral. At first I though maybe it was a split hose but there’s no smoke and no loss of power. I thought maybe the turbo wastegate wasn’t opening and the back pressure was causing the piston to slap would a faulty EGR cause the sucking noise, the wire for the EGR had been cut so I’ve repaired that, is it a big job to removed the EGR or anyway of telling if it’s faulty seizes or other wise. I can’t really tell from driving wether it’s bottom end and I can’t hear it at tickover so I’m hoping the two are connected. If not I may have to just move the van on which is a shame as it’s not often you find a connect with no side loading doors and a lift up tail gate instead of double doors.
19eddie82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Is there a connection - Read this thread ..you have heater problems ..his impeller broke and blocked the heater pipe

you have noise problems - i would imagine a pump breaking up would make noise

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=208710&p=1738464&hilit=water+pump#p1738464
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 19eddie82 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:12 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Is there a connection - Read this thread ..you have heater problems ..his impeller broke and blocked the heater pipe

you have noise problems - i would imagine a pump breaking up would make noise

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=208710&p=1738464&hilit=water+pump#p1738464

Thanks for the reply but I don’t think this is my cause, removed the oil cooler earlier on and found it completely blocked with rust/sludge that looks like it’s from years of cast iron block with not coolant. Blowers now work fine but knock and the sucking/hissing sound still remain.
19eddie82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:48 pm

That's great ..one problem solved, sounds like something that I should do..

Will have to wait until I do a coolant change though ..before the winter.

Is the gasket reusable ?
whooshing hissing suggest air leak or exhaust leak ..

other things ..those heat shields can make rattles that are in in harmony with the engine revs, they rot away where the fixings hold them on and then vibrate, shake and tap and imitate all kinds of serious noises. - exhaust leak plus heat shield damage?

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect